Notices

Finally . . .

Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally . . .

I have turned a corner that was getting worse by the day. Was physically feeling worse than I ever have but kept going just to lessen the physical agony.

Then, a very tragic but eye-opening thing happened. I learned that a woman and old friend just one year ahead of me in high school was in hospice care dying of alcoholism. I couldn't stop thinking about it. About two weeks later I learned she had died. The next day, in terrible physical agony with nausea and vomiting and racing heart, I went to a stand-alone ER. I knew I had to do something and do it right then. That was one week ago today and I have not had a drop and feel better than I have in a very long time. Her tragic end of a beautiful life will remain with me forever.

Philip Seymour Hoffman said at one point that if he ever overdosed, he would save ten people. I'm sure many more. These unsung heroes with pain of their own are perhaps angels in disguise. I will continue to honor their memory and so many others by working hard to be healthy.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your friends, but I'm glad to see you back Casey

D
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The death of a friend of mine had a hand in my sobriety.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Even the non-alcoholic people in my life passing helps to keep me sober. While active in my alcoholism, I pushed everyone away and would not allow for deep bonds to be made. Those bonds are starting and I feel honored to be a part of so many peoples' lives.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, very powerful motivation.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes very powerful motivation.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thekl0wn View Post
Even the non-alcoholic people in my life passing helps to keep me sober. While active in my alcoholism, I pushed everyone away and would not allow for deep bonds to be made. Those bonds are starting and I feel honored to be a part of so many peoples' lives.
Yes it is good to feel again!!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Originally Posted by Casey2013 View Post
Yes it is good to feel again!!
My sponsor laughs when I call him and tell him something that's happened and then tell him "I don't know how I feel about that". He tells me it's just me returning to a more normal state of human, feelings and all.

This afternoon, I had the news dropped on me that one of my best friend's wife was diagnosed with cancer earlier in the week and they were already at the Mayo Clinic... Rather than my typical, "How will this affect me" train of thought, my first reaction was to get hold of the family to find out how they're doing and if there is anything they need help with. The more surprising thing that happened however, was my heart dropped at the news and I did not suppress the feeling(s).