Notices

Why am I only an super alcoholic sometimes?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I only an super alcoholic sometimes?

My alcoholism is so erratic. Sometimes I am a functioning alcoholic. I drink 8-10 beer a night then go to bed at a decent time and get up for work the next day.

Not normal by any standard, but I make it work. Every once in a while though

Something just clicks in my brain, and when I have that first beer of the night

I know that I'm going on a bender. nothing can stop it. Nothing

I just woke up after neglecting work for 3 days. I'm working out of town and my girlfriends dad is my boss and temporary landlord

My room looks like a used liquor store and I have been smoking in the house

Which I was told would **** him over for the damage deposit

And my co worker and friend who is living here asked if I'm ready to go back

To work. I said yah but I realized that I physically cannot, I told him I'm still sick

Not that he believes me, he can smell the smoke coming from my room and the occasional beer can I left when I did decide to go out for a smoke

I want to go back to work, but my central nervous system has been sleeping for

3 days. I need to drink. In fact the last time I was in this state a qualified nurse told me thAt whatever I do don't stop drinking until I get in to detox

So I I just cracked a beer, and I know in a about 20 minutes this will not be a

Burden on me anymore, I'll be listening to led zeppelin at full volume smoking more cigarettes an hour than they can make em

Don't know why I even came on here, maybe a note to my self that I can pull up

On google one day. Or maybe as a deterrent for those thinking about

Relapsing. Don't know and don't care any more. Stay clean and serene, peace
Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What difference does it make that this only happens sometimes? One of those sometimes could be the time that wrecks your life. If alcohol is causing problems, stop drinking. It's simple but not easy, but it can be done.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll continue post Isaidyesyesyes.

My experience is sometimes I had things that meant I could not drink as much as I wanted - ie work or whatever.

Most times, when I had a day or two off, I drank til I fell down.

I was always an alcoholic, workday or not.

Eventually I ended up drinking like I had a day off, even when I didn't.

Like I said, I hope you'll stick around

D
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that was not me
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I bet you'll find lots of people who care (although Dee IS an extra-special-caring type), so like he said, stick around and get some support to help you through this rough time.

I think you should put the drinks down and seek some medical attention and then come back here and try to get on a healthier track in life.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really appreciate your helps, I'm gonna do myself and every one a favour and not post here until tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Good luck getting through the night.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried that last year. Me and my gf broke up and I drank for a Month straight , my parents sent me to rehab. I just don't know if I was made for sobriety, and dee I'm sorry I really do a appreciate your comment.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries

D
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please come back when you can.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Please DO come back Isaidyes. You are not alone and never have to be. It could help you a lot to keep posting - you can be honest with us because we truly understand.

I was drinking 24/7 when I found SR. I didn't intend to get sober when I found this place, but something led me here & I never left. I found the courage to get sober because I knew I'd have support and understanding. I'm glad you found us & I hope you come back.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaidyesyesyes View Post
My alcoholism is so erratic.

nothing can stop it. Nothing
doesn't sound erratic to me; on the contrary, it's very consistent, and I think you know it.

nothing can stop it? really? I surely don't have it down yet, but I've read enough and have experienced it firsthand enough. what stops it is not taking that first drink. it absolutely will stop it. do you really want to go on like this? it will only get worse. I'm very early in recovery, not even sure I can even claim that, but I can read a map and I know where it leads. The stories in the recovery area are worth a read as is the thread on Under the Influence book
Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

spend time reading threads here and posting instead of.. well, you know
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Best of luck!

I too was a sometimes "under control" drinker. After gaining a touch of clarity, I realized that I was never under control... I was just fighting it, which was almost as physically and mentally exhausting as the benders. The longer I fought it, the longer and worse the benders were. I knew I had a problem, but I was striving to find that balance to be a "functioning alcoholic".

What happened, for me, was I took those steps back through the doors of AA... Luckily, someone pulled me aside and explained my condition in simple terms: Alcoholism means an allergy to alcohol. An alcoholic's body processes alcohol differently than a normal person. It fit my case to a "T"... Once that first drink was in my system, there was no telling what the outcome would be. Sometimes I could fight it and be "responsible", but I was just as likely to wind up drunk, obnoxious, and left in one helluva bad physical and mental state. In seeing normal people drink, they get to a point where they become tired and are ready to stop, whereas I was on a mission.

I can't speak for you, but I know that one day, I wasn't going to make it back from one of those missions.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is definitely smart to NOT quit cold turkey if you have been drinking for days on end. A good friend of mine died at 30 years old from a withdrawal seizure because he decided to go cold turkey. I was a weekend binge drinker so I never had that to worry about. I would drink a couple nights in a row, and then not drink until the following weekend, sometimes skipping a few weeks in the interest of health. That said, my binge drinking had to be hell on my body.

I had a really warped thought process about my drinking. If I drank myself into oblivion, say close to 30 beers, but nothing "bad" happened, then I thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. The only time I felt it was a problem was if something "bad" happened. "Bad" would be a fist fight, a blackout, driving drunk, embarrassing myself, or something along those lines.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WOW this post sounds like me. I thank you for posting. Cuz it makes me remember 5 days ago all too well. Stay well. and keep posting.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just woke up, out of one hell of a lucid dream that I would not wish on hitler.covered in sweat shaking uncontrollably. It's a miracle that I even made it to the fridge to get the cure. If you are contemplating drinking . Please don't, it's not worth it. There is no amount of pleasure that equals a fair trade off for this
Old 05-23-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not looking for sympathy. I just want anyone in recovery that is thinking about drinking to think harder
Old 05-23-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a miracle that I even made it to the fridge to get the cure.
Does this mean you're drinking again, man?

D
Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Does this mean you're drinking again, man?

D
Yeah it does, the same thing that's killing me is also keeping me alive. How's that for a catch 22 ?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its a false premise. Don't forget your audience...we've been there.

That beer is not a cure - it's just another daily inoculation of your disease.

It's not keeping you alive - it's giving you a false burst of functionality and whispering sweet nothings in your ear while slowly poisoning you to death.

If you want off the merry go round you have to resign yourself to not drinking and to a few days of feeling really bad while the poison leaves your body.

If you're not up for that challenge yet, that's your call - it's a terrifying prospect...

but don't give any false nobility to what you're doing.

Drinking like most of us did is a long slow sad suicide, and there's nothing romantic, or fatalistic, about it.

I believe you're here for a reason, and it's not just to warn others, is it?

D