SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally fessed to hubs (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/332790-finally-fessed-hubs.html)

unchartedxo 05-21-2014 12:43 PM

Finally fessed to hubs

My husband already knows I have a moderation issue. He knows that when I start drinking, it is hard for me to stop before I am too drunk and out of my own control and in the control of alcohol. He knows that sometimes I can moderate but sometimes I cannot. He knows how I beat myself up and hate myself when I do get drunk. He knows all this.

But this past weekend I finally fessed up to him about the rest. I told him that every night I want one drink. That every night I argue with myself as to whether not I can control one drink. That every day I try to convince myself I can be normal drinker, that I will no longer get drunk, but then maybe just maybe getting drunk really really sounds like a fun idea.

Normal drinkers don't have this internal dialogue before they have a drink. Normal drinkers don't fantasize about the first long draw from a beer bottle or mixed drink... And imagine the immediate feeling of warm and fuzziness spread in your chest.

So this weekend I decided to tell him that. Because I am a weekend binge drinker (I sometimes have one or two during the week, but that's rare) and this past weekend I did not drink. And I felt it was necessary for him to understand how hard it was for me not to have that first one. It was not an easy conversation :-/

Reformation 05-21-2014 12:49 PM

Sounds like a great first step, what was his reaction?

Hawk07 05-21-2014 12:53 PM

Welcome unchartedxo :)

We are all familiar with that internal battle. Telling you're loved ones is an important first step. You'll find lots of support and help on here.

Imara 05-21-2014 01:08 PM

You are very brave. I have not yet reached the point of fessing up to my husband or any family members. I think it's a very important step and you should be proud of your courage. I hope I can say that too someday soon.

SuperMario 05-21-2014 01:50 PM

The internal battle! So true. It's so weird but I actually thought I was normal and everybody had these thoughts before they took a drink! Alcohol has a way of convincing you that you're completely fine and normal!

GotGrace 05-21-2014 01:58 PM

You are right, normies don't think about those things. But we do, and we understand.

Good job on taking a huge step in your recovery!

Anna 05-21-2014 03:43 PM

I'm glad you are moving forward with your recovery.

least 05-21-2014 04:12 PM

Wishing you all the best as you progress in sobriety. :)

Dee74 05-21-2014 04:15 PM

I hope you can make this a turning point unchartedxo :)
Now you've told hubby, whats the rest of your plan to stay sober look like? :)

D