Notices

Hello everyone, new person here.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, new person here.

Hows it going folks, i made an account here about 2 years and dont think i posted. Needless to say the last 2 years have been drinking ones...

I've stopped drinking again and thought i might as well say hello and ask a few questions.

My drinking has got less and less over the past few months but i was just about able to maintain my sanity but i wasnt really living, id got 2 or 3 days and then have a massive binge which would take me a few days to recover from, so in my head it was ok because i wasnt drinking every day... I used to run my own business with staff but have managed to lose that and am no living in a ****** way but you know, this is all nothing to do with alcohol it just been bad luck and 'the market'! Yes of course it wasnt alcohol ;-))

So anyway ive made the decision to quit alcohol altogether, i cant have 1 or 2 drinks, if i start i drink to annihilation and until i pass out. Theres clearly a big problem here that i cant control myself.

I'm on day 4 at the moment and feel ok, very motivated but also very weird and vacant. I have pounding headaches, greasy sweaty nights (lovely...) and feeling very lost, for want of a better word.

I guess some questions i had are how long until things normalise and have people here managed to go and do significant things or have i done some permanent damage to my brain? I obviously dont feel as sharp as i used to but im worried ive knackered my brain, or is this just the fact i havent had a drink in a few days and im anxious about not drinking ever again?

Im not going to AA and im sur ei want to, but if anyone has any advice on staying sober and if things get better then i'd really appreciate it!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Great username. As a history graduate I very much appreciate it's meaning. I wish you well in your sober journey
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Welcome to SR!

Great username. As a history graduate I very much appreciate it's meaning. I wish you well in your sober journey
Thank you, im pleased you like it. Hopefully it prophetic.

Thanks again for your kind words.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Reformation.

Things can get better; it all starts with putting down the drink/bottle. Have you talked to your doctor about your plans to quit alcohol?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too. I hope you get lots of help and support here - it available by the bucketload!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey Reformation, I'm only about 5 month sober so I don't have experience in long term sobriety.
But I will say that I have seen an amazing difference in my outlook and feeling toward life.
And I'm starting to fell much better. Waking up refreshed and not dreading the day is one of the bonuses.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, Reformation.

Things can get better; it all starts with putting down the drink/bottle. Have you talked to your doctor about your plans to quit alcohol?
I havent spoken to a Doctor, im not sure what to say to them. i wasnt drinking a bottle of vodka every night so in my mind 'im not that bad' I know thats silly thinking, but would you recommend speaking to one?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
hey Reformation, I'm only about 5 month sober so I don't have experience in long term sobriety.
But I will say that I have seen an amazing difference in my outlook and feeling toward life.
And I'm starting to fell much better. Waking up refreshed and not dreading the day is one of the bonuses.
Thanks thats encouraging to hear, one of the big problems at the moment is everything seems very pointless. I've lost a lust for being alive. I dont want to harm myself but im just existing, if that makes any sense.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reformation View Post
I havent spoken to a Doctor, im not sure what to say to them. i wasnt drinking a bottle of vodka every night so in my mind 'im not that bad' I know thats silly thinking, but would you recommend speaking to one?
Not really a recommendation as much as a concern. Some people experience terrible withdrawals; a doctor can help with that as well as provide a baseline regarding your general health.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Not really a recommendation as much as a concern. Some people experience terrible withdrawals; a doctor can help with that as well as provide a baseline regarding your general health.
Ok thnak you, im on day 4 and i feel ok. Well as ok as can be expected. Im very tired and i woke up this morning with what felt like a hang over. I actually woke up and for a split second i though 'oh no i drank last night...' but i hadnt. Im not sure if this is normal?

I think i'll tough it out a few days and see how i get on.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are things going, Reformation?