Notices

Saw a movie tonight about addiction

Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

Saw a movie tonight about addiction

My AA buddy and I watched a movie tonight called August: Osage County. Takes place in Oklahoma where I live. It is about the effects of alcoholism and drugs on families and relationships.

Very frightening to watch and remember what I came from. All the psychotic behaviors and hatred. It was one of the best reminders I have had as to why I chose sobriety and should never go back.

It was spot on for my past relationships. Not only for how I was treated but how I have acted toward others. I don't want to live that life anymore. I have worked too hard to get far away from that unhealthy state of being.

My only warning is that it can stir up some scary memories. I was quite moved by the message but also horrified by the underlying feelings it brought out. I recommend it if you just want a good reminder of a past life that has been laid to rest.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

My girlfriend is still leery about me seeing things such as this. She is an alcohol abuser of a different kind (doesn't finish a glass of wine). She's still not clear on the train of thought "we do not regret nor shut out the past". While I try not to dwell in the past, I need that frequent reminder of what I was doing to myself and everyone around me... It makes me strive that much more for the future to be better (sober).

I'll have to check this out.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

That movie is so very sad. 7 days ago today I chose my family and life over my 20 year hydro addiction that had me taking lethal amounts of hydro, drinking a bottle of Benadryl a day, stealing lying, sneaking, deceiving...I know I have a long way to go...but I made it one week. I made it.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

mamahawk - one week - way to go

Last nite we watched Amadeus. I had no idea of how that man drank throughout the movie.
I was getting uncomfortable - no urge to drink - because it reminded my wife of me for some reason. I kept getting the look.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I'll watch it this weekend. Thanks Gakx.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another good one about alcoholism and then sobriety is Smashed.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really liked August Osage County...a lot. Somehow I found comfort in knowing how messed up families can actually be.
I grew up thinking everyone's else's family was normal and only mine was insane.