Notices

Any TV suggestions?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any TV suggestions?

I am looking at staying in this weekend as to be quite honest. . . if I go out into town I will just be tempted to drink and spend money that I do not have. I have set myself some tasks for the weekend, but come Sat/Sun night I really need something good to watch on TV to keep myself occupied!

Tv wise I like things like: Hannibal,Sherlock,Whitechapel, The Mentalist, Bates Motel, The Americans and Criminal Minds. . .

Can anyone suggest some similar series that I might enjoy?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Misscoastal)

There is a thread with a lot of good info in current TV series. I believe you would find something that will suit you)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...g-boxsets.html

Enjoy your sober time)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to recognize the need to stay away from temptation. Staying home is good, but be prepared for the "I'm so bored when I'm not drinking" mental routine your addiction will try to pull.

While I have no TV reccomendations, I do suggest you have a full plan for the weekend to keep you sober: Recovery related reading, projects around the house, artistic endeavors, letter writing, etc. as well as some physical outlets.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I appreciate your warning as I have experienced this "boredom" in my previous attempts at sobriety. Fortunately next weekend I shall be about family and sober froends so it should be quite easy to occupy myself. this weekend however, is more of a challenge!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Game of Thrones is really good. I generally despise tv and refuse to even hook the cable up but it's a well written show that keeps your attention. Be warned, some of it is a strong R rating for nudity and such. I wish they would cut that stuff out but they want the 16-24 demographic I suppose.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Breaking bad will sure keep you entertained.

I'm really into the wire at the moment too
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
I am looking at staying in this weekend as to be quite honest. . . if I go out into town I will just be tempted to drink and spend money that I do not have. I have set myself some tasks for the weekend, but come Sat/Sun night I really need something good to watch on TV to keep myself occupied!

Tv wise I like things like: Hannibal,Sherlock,Whitechapel, The Mentalist, Bates Motel, The Americans and Criminal Minds. . .

Can anyone suggest some similar series that I might enjoy?

Thanks in advance.
As an avid TV watcher, this is the thread I was born to answer.

If you like Hannibal, try Dexter (don't be deterred by negative reviews of the later seasons, the first 4ish seasons are superb)
Sherlock, maybe try Life on Mars (strictly the British version)
Whitechapel, definitely Broadchurch. Can't recommend it highly enough, plus it has David Tenant
I've never watched the Mentalist, Bates Motel or Americans... But I can strongly recommend Sons of Anarchy for a bit of Americana. Criminal Minds has no equal (IMO), but my guilty pleasure is Resurrection (about a bunch of people from Arcadia, MO that return from the dead... Just finished it's first season and I loved it. Plus it has Omar Epps (of House)).
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love Breaking Bad! Talk about addictive.....
Old 05-21-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I LOVED Broadchurch and Life on Mars also!!! I tried the first few of Breaking Bad but it didn't really do much for me. . . should I persevere?!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
Oh I LOVED Broadchurch and Life on Mars also!!! I tried the first few of Breaking Bad but it didn't really do much for me. . . should I persevere?!
Yay, now that I know you have good taste I can be more specific. I personally have watched all of BB, and loved it all except the last season. Didn't HATE the last season, but I didn't love it either.

To digress, if you're interested in comedy, try Bored to Death and Arrested Development (if you haven't seen either).

I've heard people say they hated Arrested D, but I personally can't fathom why. To date, it's the best ensemble cast I've ever witnessed.

EDIT: Although, there are references to alcoholism and rehab in Arrested Development that someone might find difficult - they're humorous references (obviously), but just a warning. From memory, that's only in Season 2 and later.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi misscostalot,

May I recommend pulling weeds outside in between episodes?

Put some gloves on a go at it. When you stand back and check out the work you have done...it feels like such a sense of accomplishment

Then you can go back inside and start another episode.

During my walk with the dog yesterday I saw a gorgeous weed-free flower bed that was planted with green-leaf and red-leaf lettuces - the pattern was so beautiful! And totally functional.

Stay strong MCA!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Theo - I am gong to watch AR and Bored to Death tonight. It is a bank holiday over here tomorrow so my usual plan of action would be to hit the bar. . . going to chill out with these comedies instead!! Many thanks!