SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Liver function test (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/332731-liver-function-test.html)

Needinghelp82 05-20-2014 11:58 PM

Liver function test

I've got to leave in about 45 minutes for it. Terrified, what if I've really messed up?

Day six starting. Full of panic.

Kevin78 05-21-2014 12:05 AM

Good Luck. I'm sure you will be fine. I had one done in Jan this year, I worried myself sick.

carlingford 05-21-2014 12:10 AM

Good Luck Needinghelp82, let us know how it goes, thanks.

SoberryHappy 05-21-2014 12:16 AM

Good Luck, we are here when you return from your appointment!

Needinghelp82 05-21-2014 12:29 AM

Thank you.
GP said, at my age, it's unlikely to have scaring or permanent damage but who knows. I've drank a lot and, while I know the liver is a forgiving organ, it can only take so much.

Really hoping that it's ok.

Dee74 05-21-2014 12:33 AM

Sending you best wishes and good thoughts needinghelp :)

D

SnoozyQ 05-21-2014 12:53 AM

Good luck ;-) our thoughts are usually worse than the outcome xxx

Needinghelp82 05-21-2014 02:26 AM

They took two vials of blood, results should be back in 48 hours.

heath480 05-21-2014 03:14 AM

Congratulations on day 6.

Needinghelp82 05-21-2014 03:56 AM

Thank you.

I have to call on Friday for the results. Apparently if a problem is picked up they will call me before. Fingers crossed all is ok.

SoberLeigh 05-21-2014 04:03 AM

Positive energies being sent your way, needinghelp.

phoebe64 05-21-2014 04:04 AM

Hopefully you will get good news. Good luck.

HeadLump 05-21-2014 04:34 AM

Good luck, needinghelp. We're all rooting for you! :grouphug:

Hawk07 05-21-2014 07:46 AM

I have high hopes that you'll be just fine. Congrats on day 6!

Lola23 05-21-2014 08:01 AM

Needing help - quick question for you if you don't mind. What prompted you to actually go get the liver test? I mean, I know generally the liver is taking a beating especially for us heavy drinkers, but anything in specific that caused you to actually get tested?

I only ask b/c I'm wondering if that is something I should look into. I actually have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks (just my annual checkup) and I'm wondering if that's the time to actually come clean to my doctor about how much I am drinking and that I am concerned. (Gosh, just the thought of that makes me so scared though. I can just imagine the judgement...)

Needinghelp82 05-21-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lola23 (Post 4664682)
Needing help - quick question for you if you don't mind. What prompted you to actually go get the liver test? I mean, I know generally the liver is taking a beating especially for us heavy drinkers, but anything in specific that caused you to actually get tested?

I only ask b/c I'm wondering if that is something I should look into. I actually have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks (just my annual checkup) and I'm wondering if that's the time to actually come clean to my doctor about how much I am drinking and that I am concerned. (Gosh, just the thought of that makes me so scared though. I can just imagine the judgement...)

My GP suggested it. He said he thinks it's unlikely I have permanent damage because of my age but thought it would be best to do anyway.

I was terrified about revealing the extent of my drinking to my doctor but he was great, not judgemental at all. It was scary though but I'm pleased I did tell him.

Good luck with your appointment

Hawk07 05-21-2014 08:12 AM

Lola there won't be any judgement from a Doctor. If you have any question about the health of your liver because of your drinking you should just do it. I just had one done on Monday. I was terrified but hoping if I have done damage it's not too late to turn things around. Still waiting for my results with fingers crossed

anewpage 05-21-2014 08:12 AM

Good luck Needinghelp! I'm sure it'll be fine. I would actually like to have one done myself.

hayley86 05-21-2014 08:59 AM

Congrats on day 6. Try not to worry, you have done the best possible thing by stopping drinking. Best wishes!

Kitkat331 05-21-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lola23 (Post 4664682)

I'm sure coming clean to your doc is best. But if you can't manage that and want your liver tested anyway, just ask for a "metabolic panel". It's a pretty normal part of a physical anyway.