Notices

i'm so lost

Old 07-06-2004, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Exclamation i'm so lost

Excuse me!! I'm totally lost. I'm really new to this--the admitting i have a problem deal AND the online chat room/whatever this thing is. Can somebody please help? I'm so lost! There are a million and a half websites claiming to have lists of AA meetings, all of which are so vague, I would need a psychic to find one nearby.
Sorry if it sounds like i'm rambling. I honestly just wanna get sober, and this is all extremely frustrating.
And, by the way, how does one know when to go to a rehab center and when to go to AA? The reason I ask is because I've been trying to quit drinking on my own for the past few days, and I can't sleep--this is certainly more difficult than I would have EVER imagined.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not the best person to answer your questions, but rest assured there will be someone along soon who can do just that.

Welcome to SR - you've taken a very important step in coming here and reaching out. The guys here are fantastic and there is a wealth of information on these boards.

Hang in there - you can do it.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks, Minnie.
By the way, was anybody else as scared as I am in the beginning of their sobriety?
I've been researching all of my symptoms (hand tremors, headaches, sweats, and now I swear I'm nocturnal) and it seems i have a problem that is 1,000 times worse than I knew. Very scary, so I definitely need some support. I'm so glad I found you guys!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Beerme, Welcome to the club. I'm Deg, and I'm an alcoholic too. I can very clearly remember (and never want to forget either) lying awake in bed as you describe sweating and feeling my heart beating irregularly and wondering if I did manage to sleep - wether I'd wake up, or even if I'd mind if I didn't....

FFS do anything that helps in the short term but DON'T pick up a drink, sounds like obvious advice but you're soon to be through the worst. Vitimin B suppliments, loads of fruit juice, chocolate, whatever it takes.

I think you'll find you're quite normal here LOL! I did it alone and it can be done if that's your bag.

Keep it up, one minute, one hour, one day at a time and the rewards are massive.

Deg.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

beerme,
Welcome to SR!
Yes,it is a scary thing but you are in the right place.
And you have already made the right choice to stop drinking.
Drink alot of water and juice.Get rest!Take tylenol or ibuprophen
for the headaches.
Start a journal.And also post here.There is always someone who will
listen and understand who has "been there"

And most important....Keep the faith!
You can do this!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beerme,
Congratulations on taking the first step--admitting you have a problem and are powerless over it.
If you are unsure of how to get through the first days of sobriety and are having physical symptoms, please see your doctor. He/she can give you the help and advice you need. If you don't have a doctor, go to the local hospital ER and ask for help. There you will find it. AS an inpatient, many times they can help you with the symptoms of detox with meds and you also have a safe enviroment with people who care.
Find an AA meeting. You will not be sorry. If you have to go everyday, more than once a day--do it!
Keep posting you won't be alone here.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Beerme,

You can always look up AA in your local telephone book in the white business pages. I can assure someone there will be glad to help you.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beerme,

Welcome to SR. I think you have found the place to come for support and understanding. This is the message board part of the site, where you post a message and others will respond. There is also a chat room and chat times which you can find if you go to the main page and scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Online Chat and Meetings. As others have said, what you are experiencing sounds typical. It took months for my sleeping problems to sort out, but hang in there, you'll feel better soon.

Love, Anna
Old 07-06-2004, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kim
Stop this ride I wanna get off

Hi Beerme, consider yourself found! There are lots of wonderful people here that were/are as lost as you feel right now.

I have 22 days sobriety so far. While I didn't have the physical withdrawl symptoms, I had trouble sleeping and I'm still very irritable and moody. I was very scared too. The thought of never drinking again...the resentment and envy of others who could drink responsibly....I still get cravings, but when I think of how my life was under the influence, somehow being sober has won out in the end so far. It's a long and sometimes difficult process but it's so worth it!

Kim
Old 07-06-2004, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Rowan and I'm an alcoholic. I'm glad you're here and are ready to trade in the high cost of low living!
I echo what others have said - look up AA in your phone book and get to a meeting.
Stick around afterwards and find someone you feel you can approach and tell them you are new and ask them for a meeting list for the area and maybe they can get you a phone # or two for people in the program to talk to when you are craving.
What you are going through is difficult, but it won't last forever.
These message boards, for me, are a complement to my program or recovery. I attend 4-5 meetings a week, I have a sponsor, I work the steps, and I come here. It sounds like a lot but it comes pretty naturally these days. All the best to you! Keep posting in here and keep coming back!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Everyone!!!