Notices

New Habits?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Habits?

What past times have others in recovery picked up? I'm finding it hard to distract myself.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exercise, dog training, reading, making and listening to music, long hikes in the woods, studying old movies, learning to cook new dishes, drinking tea, I learned how to manufacture and reload ammunition, split firewood, home repairs that I would have paid a guy to do when I drank, helping my wife around the house, reorganizing EVERYTHING. Cleaning out the medicine cabinets and pitching all old medications and anything tempting, filing all my household bills, bank statements, and created calendars for everyone's birthdays, annual events, vet visits, doctors records, and home and car maintenance.
Changed the oil in everything, cleaned the yard, planted a garden, threw away junk, donated all useful items that I don't need, sent out thank you cards to people that I care about and who have been kind or given me gifts, contacted old friends, played with photoshop, studied genealogy, visited elderly relatives, went for a bike ride, tried new restaurants, helped watch a friends baby, took the kids to a 3d movie, framed important items and pictures from trips, went to therapy, organized my tools, created a master hard drive of all my mp3s, changed all the door handles in my house that needed fixing, oiled hinges, and on and on.

I'm so tired at the end of each day, I don't even think about drinking anymore.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Exercise, dog training, reading, making and listening to music, long hikes in the woods, studying old movies, learning to cook new dishes, drinking tea, I learned how to manufacture and reload ammunition, split firewood, home repairs that I would have paid a guy to do when I drank, helping my wife around the house, reorganizing EVERYTHING. Cleaning out the medicine cabinets and pitching all old medications and anything tempting, filing all my household bills, bank statements, and created calendars for everyone's birthdays, annual events, vet visits, doctors records, and home and car maintenance.
Changed the oil in everything, cleaned the yard, planted a garden, threw away junk, donated all useful items that I don't need, sent out thank you cards to people that I care about and who have been kind or given me gifts, contacted old friends, played with photoshop, studied genealogy, visited elderly relatives, went for a bike ride, tried new restaurants, helped watch a friends baby, took the kids to a 3d movie, framed important items and pictures from trips, went to therapy, organized my tools, created a master hard drive of all my mp3s, changed all the door handles in my house that needed fixing, oiled hinges, and on and on.

I'm so tired at the end of each day, I don't even think about drinking anymore.
good list! Where's ur avatar DB?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check out the 'Sticky' in this forum called 'looking for things to do. The stickys are right above the threads. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of things you'd enjoy doing.

First and foremost to distract me now is posting and reading on SR. I like to exercise either hiking or yoga or just a simple walk. Going to get a gym membership soon. Listen to and discover new music. I love going on a website called stumbleupon.com ..you can click off different interest like music, art, photography, philosophy whatever interests you and then you click 'stumble' and it'll take you to a webpage that might be of interest. I like to search for inspirational quotes..Watch movies or youtube..lately i've been watching a lot of educational videos on youtube about alcoholism, some of which have scared me silly
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise for sure. Got a gym membership this past week. Can't remember the last time I went running without a hangover, it's so much better! The endorphins also help me keep some of my new emotions at bay. Also hot yoga, collaging (literally anything, but mostly notebooks), gardening... I want to start knitting but I am not sure I'll be any good.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the lists. I work a lot, so that helps keep me distracted... but for instance, I came home tonight and thought to myself "I should fold the laundry..." which is something I would normally do with a glass of wine. So, instead of sitting on the couch to do it, I did it in the laundry room, standing. It helped me feel like I didn't need a drink to do it (kind of silly, I think). I wish I had more sober friends in my area to reach out to so that I would be able to hang out with somebody without drinking myself into a stupor.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It can be hard to distract yourself in early recovery. I found it pretty difficult at times to focus on my reading. Also I'm just now beginning to easily "switch gears" and go from one thing to another quickly. Didn't realize how much of an issue that was. It was like the alcohol gave me a one track mind. Hard to stop and start. I tended to obsess. Anyway... Some of my activities are reading, writing, running, biking, recreational kayaking, hiking and walking.

Lately I've been getting rid of old clothes and updating my wardrobe.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful i've found this site. It's really helpful to know that I'm not alone in this uphill battle.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Has anybody read any good books recently?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of my faves:
Baking, especially with my kids
Exercise
Doing housework I used to neglect
Reading and posting on sr
Funny internet stuff (I like knowyourmeme, photoshop disasters, and youregonnadiehere)
Serious internet stuff (documentaries about addiction especially)
Trying new teas
Shopping for treats to celebrate my recovery (in the first weeks, I gave myself a $10/day allowance I called 'sober bucks' that I figured I saved because I wasn't buying wine so I could spend it on anything nice for myself--fun socks, bubble bath, flowers, etc.)

Best wishes!!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Favorite books lately:
Room
Where'd you go, Bernadette?
The cursing mommy's book of days

Drinking: a love story by Carolyn knapp is excellent but a little triggery IMO.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlliH View Post
I'm so grateful i've found this site. It's really helpful to know that I'm not alone in this uphill battle.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Has anybody read any good books recently?
Love Does by Bob Goff. It's kinda Christianity based if that's not your thing, but honestly his stories are so wonderful that I recommend it to most anyone. I've read it at least five times.

Currently reading - Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp and it's wonderful (but some people struggle reading it early on)
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courte
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Big Book (AA's book)

Siddharta by Hermann Hesse

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
“Responsibility means recognizing both pleasure and price, action and consequence, then making a choice.” (One of my fav quotes from this book)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (it's funny and takes my mind off worries)

Grimms book of Fairytales
Old 05-20-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DB,
Will you marry me????
G
Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Alli,

I forgot to mention the 'Tune in' radio app for the iPhone. LOVE this. Sometimes I like silence but then there are the times when I want to listen to the BBC World News, or local radio, Car Talk (Click and Clack) reruns - guaranteed laughs for me. The guys are hilarious. There are so many great radio shows/stations to occupy your mind while you are doing things at home.

So many things to do!!