Notices

Financial ruin

Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Financial ruin

My credit dropped about 200 points this past year due to long drinking binges, missing work, and eventually being fired. I know I have the rest of my life to rebuild that but it's overwhelming in early recovery. I *should* be happy and grateful that I'm even alive, but the financial stress is very difficult.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ive got 155k in student loans to go. Ill take your credit score any day!! Haha

Good luck though Wizard. I began keeping track of my finances on quickbooks, and wouldnt ya know it. 80% of my money goes to drinking or food while drinking.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've messed up my finances as well. I used to be very financially secure and drinking has definitely taken it's toll. Makes me sick to my stomach. Definitely overwhelming in early recovery. But one thing is for sure - continuing to drink will only make it worse. Sobering up is the best step towards rebuilding for me.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi wizard. I had a ton of financial stress and I know how horribly awful it is. I am nowhere near being a financial genius, I'm a financial idiot in fact, but like Lisbon, once I stopped spending money on alcohol and things I purchased while under the influence that I didn't really need, I suddenly started to see improvement in the bank balance. I drank over being broke and was broke because I drank. Bad for the bottom line.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bankruptsy here in 2008, drive a car with no payments, lost my home.

Have no credit cards. Kinda freeing. I only buy what I can afford and pay cash.
I don't live beyond my means. Little apt, less things to keep up.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Credit scores are arbitrary measures on your risk worthiness. As you stated you can rebuild them over time. It should not be a roadblock to a healthy happy life.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to anyone about budgeting etc Wizard?

D
Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean... I have not had financial control for many many years despite having a good job, and my money always ran out well before the end of the month and I was always at the top of my large overdraft.... BUT ...

as one of my habits has been to completely avoid looking at my finances at all, it was an incredibly wonderful shock to me at the end of last month when (FORCED by circumstances and my partner to look at my bank balance) I found I was in the black. AT THE END OF THE MONTH!!!! This has been unheard of for the last twenty years (or more). I was astounded at how much difference living sober has made. I suppose it all adds up (money on booze; money buying stuff off e-bay when drunk; taxis home when you can't walk; takeaways when too drunk or hungover to cook).

I promise you - things can only get better financially while you are sober and can make wise choices and keep some control on things. Maybe try reflecting on it with the serenity prayer and think about what you can't control, and the things that you can control, and only use energy on the latter.

Wishing you luck and strength x
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Money is always a worry. Good luck Wizard.

Finances are a major worry for me, Luckily I am sober just now and managing to try and sort it all out. Should take about 7 years to pay off my debts. I can only do this sober. I was a wreck coming off the drink a few days back, Thinking I was losing the house and failing to keep up my mortgage payments. I worked out talking to people helped. 4 days sober here today. Must keep focused.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To hell with credit scores. Don't even spend a moment's time worrying about that garbage. There are much more important things worthy of your attention. I used to play that game, and had a credit score of over 800, but suffered a loss of income in 2009 (thanks to a free-falling economy) and ended up losing my house to foreclosure, and my credit got hammered. I don't even know what my score is now, but get this- I DON'T CARE! I don't want to borrow money ever again. I live on a cash basis- if I don't have the money, then I don't buy it. I feel so free now. No credit cards, no debt, and I can do whatever the heck I want.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive messages, everyone. This truly is a wonderful resourse. Dee, I have, my main problem though is my monthly expenses (student loans, rent, car, etc.) could all be paid every month with a little left over based on what I was making before I lost a great job due to drinking. Once that income is suddenly gone, the hole begins to pile up and quick.

Nothing to drink to though, I've learned that nothing is worth drinking over. It will only make things 1000 times worse when the drunken fog clears the next morning. And then I'll regret drinking so what will I do to ease the regret and anxiety? Drink again! And again.... Not this time, the cycle stopped for me in March, no matter how bad things get. Thanks again folks.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go for it Wizard1 and best of luck
Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm saving a huge amount not drinking (I'm actually embarrassed to say how much!). I'm putting some of it aside for a treat (maybe a new SLR camera) in a month or two!
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Wizard! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

very common story.... to one extent or another, pretty much all of us who have struggled with addictions have left piles of financial ruination smoldering around us.

It can seem really daunting, even totally overwhelming. But if we focus on the Next Right Thing, stay sober, work on ourselves and chip away at what we can.... we rebuild. And, one day we look up and realize we're through it and things are better than ever.

Hang in there.