Notices

detoxifying?

Old 07-05-2004, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Down to Earth Astronaut

detoxifying?

I was wondering if there are any ways out there to detox your body? Especially the damage done to my liver and brain function. I am also concerned about my amount of sweating...is this normal? It's really bothersome at nighttime when i find myself waking up in sweat. Is this a natural way of detoxifying your body?

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so welcoming and supportive. It really means a lot of hear it!

Blessed Be. :shysmile:
Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by abnormalego
I was wondering if there are any ways out there to detox your body?...I am also concerned about my amount of sweating...is this normal?...Is this a natural way of detoxifying your body?
You must have taken typing; I noticed two spaces between your sentences! LOL. But seriously, yes, sweating is one way your body has of detoxifying itself. The biggest way your body detoxes though is TIME. Drinking plenty of water can help to a limited extent.

If you're coming off alcohol, and you have these concerns, I suggest you see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can be VERY serious, even fatal, plus the doc can do blood work to check your liver out. The brain...now that takes time also and of course, unfortunately, some of that is permanent.

Wish you the best in your recovery! Take me canoeing sometime, OK? teehee.
Love, Eddie
Old 07-06-2004, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Abnormal, sounds pretty normal to me. Plenty of water is the most important but take it in slowly through the day - keep a bottle with you all the time and take very regular very small sips and washing them around your mouth, otherwise you risk flushing important stuff out of your system - you don't want that.

Keep it up, you're doing fine.

Deg.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
King of the Blues

Hi,
Like they said, plenty of water, take a high potency B complex, exercise, and do please see a doctor. You may need something to assist your detox depending how long you have been drinking. I was given klonopin. This helps so you don't get seizures.
I have over 30 days sobriety and I am still withdrawing. It's tough! But it gets better
Old 07-07-2004, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All good advice so far...

Also, you can help to heal your brain by exercising it as well. With over 4 months sober now, I have gotten back into reading and playing music. I believe it helps to overcome some of the mental damage. I also agree with Bluesman physical exercise helped me. I have regained some coordination that I had lost.

I used the herb "milk thistle" for a month after I first quit. It has a substance called Silymarin which is supposed to be good for liver function. Like eddie z mentioned though you may want to get a liver test first. I had a blood test done to check for liver function before I quit drinking and was ok.