Notices

Fyi

Old 05-24-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Part of me just wants to give up, but I won't. I know what I have been doing hasn't worked. The only two things I can think to do is hook up with a good therapist and treatment. I really don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm running out of options. It's a bad place to be when you start giving up on yourself.
Please don't give up x
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Part of me just wants to give up, but I won't. I know what I have been doing hasn't worked. The only two things I can think to do is hook up with a good therapist and treatment. I really don't know what else to do. I feel like I'm running out of options. It's a bad place to be when you start giving up on yourself.
There is another thing you can do 2muchpain. Don't drink. No matter what. It's not easy, but it will give you a clearer perspective on everything.

D
Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There is another thing you can do 2muchpain. Don't drink. No matter what. It's not easy, but it will give you a clearer perspective on everything.

D
Of course, you would apply this advise to everybody on this forum, right? No, it's not easy; I would imagine if it was, this forum and other types of support would not exist.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You have six days sober time and you're seeing a therapist. As bad as it might seem, it sounds a lot more to me like the opposite of giving up on yourself.

When I was drinking, for a long time I felt like I had given up on myself, until I started working on getting sober - that was when I stopped giving up on myself and gave myself another chance. That's what you're doing. This is positive change. It's often not pleasant, and if it were easy everyone'd be doing it and we wouldn't have support forums on the subject. You're doing good though, stick with it, trust your therapist, stay dry and give the magic some time.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

2muchpain: The psychiatrist you mentioned when you began this thread sounded to me like he was making a lot of sense. Do you still see him? Do you really believe what he said, that you could black out and be in a situation where no one could find you for days? Do you really want that to happen? Please think over again what he said and also keep posting on this SR website. We're here to help you in any way we can. Tell us how. Recovery is hard but it's worth it. It really is.

W.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
2muchpain: The psychiatrist you mentioned when you began this thread sounded to me like he was making a lot of sense. Do you still see him? Do you really believe what he said, that you could black out and be in a situation where no one could find you for days? Do you really want that to happen? Please think over again what he said and also keep posting on this SR website. We're here to help you in any way we can. Tell us how. Recovery is hard but it's worth it. It really is.

W.
Yes, I've been seeing the same psychiatrist for several years now. He knows me well. What he said about me possibly being seriously injured and home alone for days really has stuck with me. I think about it often. I know he is right, and the possibility of that happening is very real. The thought of that really scares me. I have always taken pride in being able to take care of myself, without anybody's help (mainly because I have had to), so I never really gave it much thought. The idea of not being able to take care of my needs really took me back. A real wake-up call. Thanks for your support.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey 2muchpain,

I just want to say that I really enjoy reading your sober postings You offer a great sense of hope. Thank you.

How have the past few days been for you?

Old 05-25-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

2much pain: Now you're making a lot of sense. Getting into recovery is not easy but many folks on this website have done it. Let them help you, walk with you and be there to support you on the rough spots You will come to realize that there's a very troublesome part of your brain that wants to drink, that tries to trip you up, fool you into having "just one", or even "giving up". Don't give in! Focus on the part of your brain that wants to get well. The first few days or even weeks after stopping drinking are the most dangerous, the toughest, but it gets easier as you go along. Take advantage of all the support that's here on this website.

W.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 8 and doing fine. Scared, but fine. Seeing things a little different these days. Don't know if it will last, but it is definitely a good place to be. Been humbled a lot this past week .
Old 05-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi 2much, so relieved to wake up this morning and see your post. Thank you for making my day better x
Old 05-25-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2much - 8 days sober is wonderful. It's so good to see you feeling optimistic.