Notices

60 consecutive days today :)

Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

60 consecutive days today :)

Finally made it to 60 days today, feeling a lot better than I did at day 1, that's for sure, however, I still have lingering anxiety especially first thing in the morning and at night I heard from AA guys that after 90 days I should be back to normal as this is approximately the time taken for the brain's chemical balance to return to normal for the average alcoholic. Has anyone here experienced the magic 90th day or is it rubbish?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well done on 60 DAYS! Max.

Do not be disappointed if you find out the aa guys were wrong. It takes time and there are variables that come into play. You will feel better but you are just beginning to heal.
Do not be discouraged if that magic feeling doesn't show up at 90 days.
Keep moving forward and continue to work on sobriety and yourself.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Max, I'm at 66 days. I'd like to think that my anxiety will end at 90 days, but I highly doubt it We can always dream right? l.o.l.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lot depends on how much wreckage a person has done in his life.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days. 90 days is not magic and I agree there are many variables involved. But for me at 90 days anxiety was most gone, I slept through the night, and felt physically and emotionally much better. Still have cravings, but they are manageable. Hang in there max! It only gets better.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Wonderful xx
Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days!!! I am not sure about the 90 days as I am at 170 and still have anxiety. HOWEVER that being said I did drink for 20 years. Also I do feel better and better as time goes on. I am convinced that the anxiety that I do have now is less chemical and more mental. It's just dealing with life in an unfamiliar way than what I had been doing for so long (drinking) before. I feel like the approach is all new to me. Also now that the alcohol is out of my system I generally just feel like most of my senses are heightened now(smell, emotions etc) whatever they be and that is definitely an adjustment from the constant numbing then hangover recovery routine I'd been on before. One thing I am learning is that it is a process and with anxiety I think it will be quite the journey having strategies to cope with it. I know most people have probably told you a million times already but diet really really helps. I feel like that was the second step after quitting drinking.. now it's on to the mental work. I am reading a book right now on all aspects of healing, if it's helpful I will send you the title. Again Congratulations on 60 days Max!!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! By my superior mental powahs I calculate that to be more or less two mumfs!!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well... cravings and mind games are far more manageable than in the first couple months for me these days. Still, I'm a past 90 days and closing in on 5 months and still have a lot of weirdness to deal with that indicates to me I'm still dealing with the stabilizing of my body, mind, moods and emotions. While I've also heard that 90 days thing both in AA and from a therapist - I think that's more of a generalized "here's how long it takes for a body to start having a 'new normal" sort of benchmark. Seems like there's a lot of variables. I'm pretty sure it's different for everyone.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

60 days is awesome!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesomeness! Congrats to you!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Maximilian85 View Post
Finally made it to 60 days today, feeling a lot better than I did at day 1, that's for sure, however, I still have lingering anxiety especially first thing in the morning and at night I heard from AA guys that after 90 days I should be back to normal as this is approximately the time taken for the brain's chemical balance to return to normal for the average alcoholic. Has anyone here experienced the magic 90th day or is it rubbish?

Huge congratulations on 60 days, that is a great bit of progress and will only get better from here on in, cravings still show themselves to me after 6 months sober but they are just fleeting moments and they are very manageable.
90 days for me was better than 60 for sure but but there is no magical threshold sadly, but we plod on and get there.

The grass REALLY is greener on the SOBER side.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

60 days

With time and some learning the ups and downs of life become more manageable , 60 is a great start .
I'm not sure there is a defined boundary between learning to live life sober and learning live a glorious life …
A happy person doesn't ask themselves if they are happy, they just get on with it ..

Keep on , m
Old 05-20-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone, really put a smile on my face I told some of my friends and family that I made it to 60 days but they were like, "Oh right, nice one" in a quite uninterested kind of a way, I guess they don't know how much of a challenge it has been.

Yeah I think the 90 days thing is for an average alcoholic with 1-5 years of abuse. The problem is that I can't tell if I'm getting better anymore, in the first week each day saw a substantial improvement, but now it's unnoticeable... guess I've just gotta hang in there

Just can't wait to enjoy the World Cup with a few pints of apple juice with friends and not be worrying about everything
Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on sixty days sober!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days Max!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratultions Maximilian85

I certainly felt less up and down after 90 days - it would be a mistake to say every thing was peachy keen after that - but I definitely felt I was heading somewhere

D
Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

60 days is something to be proud of Max - you're doing great.