Notices

Want to go to aa scared

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GentleSoul View Post
Ok I made it to the church where the meeting is held. Keep sitting out in hall just start crying every time I try to go in. I'm out for a walk now. I listened outside for quite some time. I'm so scared of what may happen if I go in. What if I know people? I hate crying in public. Harder than I thought.
Hey, you got to a meeting. That is a VERY important accomplishment in recovery. I am happy for you.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi GentleSoul,
It's hard facing our fears. I was scared too. I had to still do them and just be scared. I never did have that good feeling kick in before I did anything scary. It was always scary before and even during....it's the after that has the payoff. That's when it kicks in. After. Never before. It's also where courage and self esteem and feelings of pride kick in. Always after the hard.

You decided to go. You got outside the door. You haven't written it off. Everything you did was a step in the right direction. Keep trying. Keep moving just a little bit farther in the direction you need to go.

Every time I pushed myself past one more limit that always held me back, the next one got just a little bit easier.

You can do it!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There were hundreds of thousands of people who felt just like you when they walked through the doors for the first time. Not one of them got to AA on a winning streak. Their lives and health were falling apart. Many were suicidal. They know all about the pain and suffering alcoholism brings but the amazing thing is they have a solution.

AA's are the kindest and most non-judgmental people you will ever meet. It would be wonderful if you met someone you knew because you would understand this disease effects people from all walks of life even the people you know.

People come through the doors off AA because they have had it with the merry-go-round of alcohol.

The reality is there is nothing to fear but your mind and addiction will come up with a million reasons not to go
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
RecoveringUnicorn

listen to yourself...doesn't matter if the next person thinks you have a problem and need help if you are thinking it then you do. if you feel it act on it. don't be afraid. try it and see if you like it. going my just help you from ever becoming too far gone. try it. don't be afraid of change for the better!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

those of us sitting in those meetings felt just like you once and we are all there to save ourselves from drinking disasters....

hugs and love to you
Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GentleSoul View Post
Ok I made it to the church where the meeting is held. Keep sitting out in hall just start crying every time I try to go in. I'm out for a walk now. I listened outside for quite some time. I'm so scared of what may happen if I go in. What if I know people? I hate crying in public. Harder than I thought.
At the beginning, I drove 20 minutes to my current home group despite having multiple in my area because I was worried I would see someone I knew. Turns out, I saw someone I knew anyway! I still drive the 20 minutes to that group almost daily, because I have met some amazing people and it is by far my favorite. I am open to going to meetings at other places, though. If I see someone I know, whatever. They have the same problem, there's no judgment, everything seen and heard is left behind. As someone told me once, "Need I remind you... it's anonymous?" :P

Proud of you for going, even just to the venue. It's very hard. I shook like a leaf my whole first meeting, and I didn't know if I wanted what they had, but I knew I didn't want what I had. But there is so much almost inexplicable joy to be found in the rooms, so many wonderful people who have something to offer. Baby steps x
Old 05-21-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was also scared and just attended my first one monday. Im going back thursday. The overwhelming support amd instant bond i felt with these strangers was amazing. I could finally be honest about my drinking verbally out loud and be understood and even sympathized with. Im not saying aa is for everyone as ibwas a doubter. But i needed structure and something to 'work ' and physically touch and have those tools. I have high hopes and i hope u choose to give it a try. Hugs **