Notices

Ashamed mom with OWI

Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ashamed mom with OWI

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am nervous as I type. The shame I feel due to my actions is inconceivable. It seems like I went from being a great mom who drank socially to an alcoholic who drove with her kids in the car overnight. This, of course, is not the case, as it was all very progressive, but I still wonder how I changed without truly being aware of it. I, by the grace of God, did not injure anyone as I totaled my car when sliding on ice and slamming my car into a tree (on an angle over a 20 ft deep creek). Divine intervention took place and I have not had a drink since. I think I was so deep into my addiction that the only thing that could happen did happen and the Lord has blessed me with a second chance. Any consequence that I must endure due to this gift I was given is worth it. I may end up in jail, I may be a felon, I may be on probation for a very long time, but none of that matters to me. What matters is that I have been saved. I now cherish every moment in life, and realize how lucky I am to have the beautiful life and children God created.

I have been sober since January 3 and, although I am convinced I will never drink again, I also attend Celebrate Recovery, see a therapist, and see a psychiatrist (I was diagnosed biploar I following the incident). I want to guarantee that I can get through those hard days. I look forward to posting on this site and learning much from others. I feel so alone some days and it is a wonderful feeling to know that there are others who are going through this with me. I also want to help others who feel that they can't stop so that they will not end up in a predicament such as mine. Sobriety and recovery can be difficult at times, but I am finally getting to know myself and God and there is so much more to life than alcohol. Life is beautiful; it's all in how you see things. Negativity and resentment aren't worth my time, I need that time to make up for my wrongs and live a full life.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

In my opinion, regular support group meetings (90 meetings in 90 days if possible) and SoberRecovery are a great way to recovery! Keep reading and posting!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR. You have found a great place for support which will complement CR nicely I know we have some CR members here too.
I hope you will join us at the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. It's a fun way to hold ourselves accountable http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4660634
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm an atheist but damn you had some good luck there! I hope you make the most of it. All the very best to you in your recovery.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there Hopelove16, Glad you are here! I am pretty sure a 1st DUI offense is a misdemeanor, I have had 3. Actually one was expunged after several years.

But I have a good feeling that you will probably just get probation.

Of course I don't know where you live, if you are not in the US I could be totally wrong.

Where are you located? Just curious,
Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congratulations on your sobriety and taking that wake up call as seriously as you have!

It took me TWO (nearly three but I got 'lucky'... long story there) and then some to pull my head out of the hole I'd stuck it in and admit to the fact that I had a big fat problem with booze.

I'm proud of you.... as a Dad of two, I can totally relate. Stick with it, you'll find that the shame will fade as you let it go and embrace the self-love and the goodness of being on this sober path.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in WI. I had a very high BAC of .28 so that is why it may be much worse. I had a very high tolerance due to how often I drank and I am only 5' tall and weigh 100 pounds. That doesn't help matters either.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, FreeOwl, for the words of encouragement. I have good days and bad, but mostly good lately.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife's experience with a DWI plus several folks here is that if you work hard at sobriety, the judge will be lenient. Most AA meetings will sign attendance slips--it would be good documentation if you could get it from your meetings.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have had letters written from my pastor at church who facilitates Celebrate Recovery...which is similar to AA. Hopefully that will help. My therapist, psychiatrist, Child Protective Services, and husband also wrote letters as well. My husband and I are also taking a parenting class and he attends Celebrate Recovery with me. We are both alcoholics and want to learn how to make things right again for our children, whom are 10, 7, and 3.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

From one Hope to another, you found a good group here. We've all made bad decisions under the influence. So glad you have turned it around. And just like your Avatar says, be the change that you want to see. Welcome
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, hopelove16! Congratulations on your sobriety! My children, ages 3 & 5, are my greatest motivator to stay sober. Your children are so lucky to have a sober mom
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopelove16 View Post
I have had letters written from my pastor at church who facilitates Celebrate Recovery...which is similar to AA. Hopefully that will help. My therapist, psychiatrist, Child Protective Services, and husband also wrote letters as well. My husband and I are also taking a parenting class and he attends Celebrate Recovery with me. We are both alcoholics and want to learn how to make things right again for our children, whom are 10, 7, and 3.
right on.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you are doing well and it sounds like you are doing everything you need to do to take care of yourself and your family.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree - sounds like you're really turning things around hopelove16

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What is that saying..."When you are down to nothing God is up to something" something along those lines. Fits well here I think. I guess God decided he had something better planned for you. Glad to hear no one was hurt. If a lifetime of sobriety is a result of this than I would say you were given a wonderful gift!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.