Notices

Delayed withdrawal maybe..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delayed withdrawal maybe..

Day eight here and I have been really pleased with how things have been going. I seem to be on a 'trajectory' and have been since last September with the 6 out of the last eight months sober, with lapses in a couple of spots. I am feeling motivated and have a sense that my drinking days are over for the simple reason that I really want them to be!

I thought I had got off lightly when I stopped eight days ago. I had poor sleep for a few nights but no major withdrawals until today weirdly.

Actually it probably isn't withdrawal so much as readjustment. I am head-achy, in fact my head feels it wants to burst, a bit shaky and itchy and my skin is crawling a bit. My concentration feels poor too.

Not really seeking advice as I know this will pass, unless anyone has some observations to make. Just using the forum to vent a bit!

Onwards!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, the furthest I've made it so far is 12 days, so I'm no expert on what to expect, but I suspect that it takes the body a long time to completely adjust to life without alcohol. All kinds of weird stuff happening in there.
This morning I woke with a headache and, strangely, lower abdominal pain. Not sure what that's all about.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
Well, the furthest I've made it so far is 12 days, so I'm no expert on what to expect, but I suspect that it takes the body a long time to completely adjust to life without alcohol. All kinds of weird stuff happening in there.
This morning I woke with a headache and, strangely, lower abdominal pain. Not sure what that's all about.
I see bunc of @#$€£¥ dreams like real, when wake up cant join to real life for minutes. And its just day 2.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mentium, this is going to happen for a time. Get through it and stay strong.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mentium, my drinking has been similar to yours, with fits and starts in my sobriety and getting into the wine. I have had weird feelings at a week or two into it. Sometimes just sort of antsy, aggitated, headachey. Maybe things waking up. Ups and downs.

I hope you feel better.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the comments and advice As some of you may have read elsewhere my elderly dad was admitted into hospital the night before last with a burst stomach ulcer. He's out of danger but these things throw you a bit - sometimes in a delayed way. Can't have helped!

Anyway I am grateful for the fact I have no desire to drink even if my head and body feel a bit weird and out of sorts today!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, well, when i was drinking or newly stopped and stressful things hit like that, i was very on edge. I think our nervous system is not very regulated when we are used to numbing out reguarly. This is no tmedical advice, and of course you know to see a doc if you feel truly ill. But I would get very frazzled and wigged out and dizzy, at times, when the adrenaline of a crisis with my dad's health would kick in. Same when I had his sister here. At times, not all the time, but definitely if I were within a week or so of having been drinking.

I hope your father recovers fully.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found that in general, the more times I went through withdrawal (and there were a bunch of ‘em), the more delayed was the onset of symptoms, and the longer the symptoms lasted — and it didn’t matter how long I’d been sober or how short was the period of relapse.

I figured it was part of the “kindling” phenomenon. As they say, this thing is progressive.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most important thing is
Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zen?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
I am head-achy, in fact my head feels it wants to burst, a bit shaky and itchy and my skin is crawling a bit. My concentration feels poor too.
Pretty much describes me. I can't figure out of the lack of concentration is from the headache or my lack of sleep.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

..plus neurons not used to firing as they want to. Alcohol coats some neurons with a layer of fatty like substance which makes them much less efficient than they naturally are. I think the return of something like normal brain function explains a lot during the first few weeks of recovery.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

..plus neurons not used to firing as they want to. Alcohol coats some neurons with a layer of fatty like substance which makes them much less efficient than they naturally are. I think the return of something like normal brain function explains a lot during the first few weeks of recovery.
means take thiamine, b1. helps with ur central nervous system and ur brain cells. Take complex b vits, helps.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Any better Mentium?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for asking Samson. Yes, much better thank you. Today seems to be the Day of the Sugar Monster. Ate a very large (huge!) bar of chocolate and felt a bit sick. Also slept for an hour mid-day. It was nice!

I'm getting there. Hope you are doing OK yourself!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Three weeks for me.
Still some tremor, headache and GI distress.

Some anxiety and depression remain, in
spite of Zoloft.

I'm really pushing myself to get to a
sober routine.

It does take time because I am doing
all the right things.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for asking Samson. Yes, much better thank you. Today seems to be the Day of the Sugar Monster. Ate a very large (huge!) bar of chocolate and felt a bit sick. Also slept for an hour mid-day. It was nice!

I'm getting there. Hope you are doing OK yourself!
Yep. I've been keeping a pocket full of cherry lifesavers. Not sure how much sugar is in beer but my body is craving it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld View Post
Yep. I've been keeping a pocket full of cherry lifesavers. Not sure how much sugar is in beer but my body is craving it.
Carbs! Loooads!