Notices

Afraid

Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Afraid

So I've been drinking for years on a daily basis and months ago I quit and had the worst withdrawals, I did not go to the er but I should have and then A week after being sober I started again drinking a bottle or 2 of wine a night then it became all day every day for months now. I realized I had a problem and the last time I quit I was too terified to go through it again so I got librium and it helped but unfortunately I went back down the rabbit hole one day turned into the next and i kept putting it off. After my brother died to years ago is when the daily drinking started and it was just to cover up every thought or feeling I had and I never thought of the physical consequences it would have until I went through withdrawal last year and it scared me to death. Yet I know im afraid of life and dealing with anxiety so drinking made things seem better even though it ends up being the devil. Hiding hundreds of bottles because im too embarressed to through them out and it all came to a head last week when I decided to come clean with myself that if i dont stop it will kill me. I had lied to my parents about quitting months ago and ofcorse had no symptoms so they thought it was great and easy but really i was still drinking. So now I tell them on thursday I need to quit and go through withdrawals again and they are supportive so ofcorse I didnt stop completely and drank a couple of beers but didnt buy wine and its caught up to me that the days have gone by and they think Ive passed the 72 hours when I havent ugh its such a mess. So I am now officially at my 14 hour cold turkey point right now and I know it is going to get so much worse for the next 5 days and it scares me that no one is going to be around, and if I would have just done it this weekend Id be at day three. But im 14 hours in and already the shakes,sweat,anxiety,feeling of doom is starting and all I continue to think about is how much worse its going to get and how afraid I am. But I am still going to continue through it and am just hoping to hell the next week flies by. I have this fear of the DT'S even though ive never had them before and it just makes all this worse. So I decided to join this site to read about others recovery and withdrawals so I dont feel so freaked out and alone. The worst part is the physical symptoms and fearing everything and then fearing how to cope with it. I havent been tempted to drink because I know if I dont start now Ill never start just like the last two times, this time I fear more knowing what is to come. If anyone can share there stories with me it would make me feel better and might take my mind of my body. I never thought I was an alcoholic until i realized how physically dependent I have become and its so upsetting realizing what Ive been doing and how I tried to rationalize and lie to myself because I was too afraid to quit. Its so stupid to be afraid of quitting something that can kill you but that is why Ive put it off for so long. I hope I can just feel better in 72 hours atleast physically and be able to sleep.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi rocky123 welcome.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum rocky!! you'll find loads of support here, great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Rocky! Welcome

I'm on day 6 now but was terrified the first 1-3 days. You can read my experience in the 'please help' thread just click on my user name to get to my profile and read my posts. I'm a chronic relapser so this time was really scary for me as my withdrawals kept getting worse... All I can say is for starters, see a Dr. as I did. It was scary and embarrassing at first but way worth it. You sound well aware of the dangers of alcohol withdrawal. Don't play around with this. Your parents probably love you to the moon and back so don't worry about telling them the truth.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. How about some medical support? Might help you and it will alleviate withdrawal a lot.

I would strongly urge that but if for some reason that isn't an option, you have asked for advice so.. you might start feeling better by the end of 72 hours. For or five days will probably see the worst gone. After that it is about how to stay sober.

You might consider AA too. I go and find it helpful, without letting it take over my life.

One thing to keep hold of is that drinking will not cure how you feel now. It will make you feel better VERY temporarily but all it will do is delay and intensify your present horrible discomfort.

I would like to repeat the advice that getting medical help with your withdrawal is the best option at this pint if you can get it.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have a friend or family member you could call to maybe stay with you for a couple of days?

Welcome to this forum, rocky, I know you're facing a rough time....
A lot of us have used alcohol to numb the feelings of pain, so sorry you've had to deal with the loss of your brother....

There's a lot of info on this website that can help you with questions about withdrawals, anxiety, Addictive Voice, etc., just keep reading and looking around on these forums.

Take care, and if at all possible, you should try and see a doctor to help. Your parents seem like they're concerned and you can talk to them about the truth.

I wish you the best, hang in there, and glad you found this site.
Peace,
~Heartfan
Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rocky - there's a lot of support here - post as much as you need to
Don't be afraid to seek help if you think you need it, ok?

D
Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If those withdraw symptoms get severe,
get to an ER. Withdraw is nothing to mess with.