Notices

Nine Months Ago Today

Old 05-18-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nine Months Ago Today

Sunday 18th August 2013. I was coming to end of a long, destructive binge. I had been drinking vodka around the clock for weeks. I had been trying to taper off for days, unsuccessfully, and it was over a week since I had slept or ate anything. I had experienced the DT'S before, and had been hospitalized in the past with sever alcohol withdrawal, but nothing was to prepare me for what was lying ahead.
I knew the withdrawal was coming and I knew it would be bad, my money was long gone and I had been stealing vodka for a couple of weeks from various supermarkets, but my luck had run out, I was unable to leave the house, such was my physical discomfort, paranoia, and disorientation.
A few hours after my last swig of vodka the spasms started. Within an hour I was climbing the walls, writhing around on the floor, dry retching. By the time the ambulance arrived I couldn't fight it off any longer, spasms and hellish hallucinations followed, 10 times worse than any bad acid trip I have ever experienced, and I've experienced a few. It's impossible to describe DT hallucinations, but it's not merely a case of just seeing or hearing things that are not there, it's all encompassing, your mind is completely GONE, at that moment, you have lost your mind. I imagine it's more akin to someone suffering from the latter stages of dementia than it is an LSD trip.
Eventually I came around, pumped full of Librium and anti-psychotics. It took around six weeks for my head to clear, physically I'm still not 100%, liver issues as you might imagine.
Anyway, that was nine months ago today and I haven't had a drink since. I was in and out of AA for years, slipping and sliding, now I'm fully committed to recovery. I'm a chronic alcoholic, this disease will kill me if I allow it to.
Today I fully accept my alcoholism. My life isn't perfect but I've got a hell of a lot to be thankful for. I know that I'm lucky to be alive and that's not lost on me.
I no longer delude myself that maybe I could moderate my drinking, my own experience tells me otherwise. Abstinence is the only chance I have at survival. I try and embrace sobriety, it has already given me so much back in the past nine months, my beautiful son, a good job, a new house, people in my life who trust me, and peace of mind. Drink stripped me of everything, I was an empty shell, weeks away from death, how lucky I am to be where I am now. How quickly I would lose it all if I pick up that first drink.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this as it is a great reminder! Congratulations on your 9 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a powerful story, thank you for sharing it with us. Congratulations on 9 months.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 9mths.

Love the end of your post,it is always the first drink that does the damage.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!! 9 months is fantastic!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Wonderful post Delbhoy. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you turned things around. Many congrats on your 9 months!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
living sober

Gosh, just reading your story makes my head spin!

"...now, I'm fully committed to sobriety." - I'm so, so happy for you. 9 months is fabulous!

J.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Delbhoy for sharing your story. A powerful reminder of what taking a drink can return us to. Congratulations on nine months. Good Job.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard DelBhoy - and congratulations on 9 months

D
Old 05-18-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on nine months sober!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story! Great work on getting to nine months, keep it up!