Notices

Planning a Sober

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Planning a Sober

I used to plan my drunks, sometimes days in advance. Now I am planning my sobriety.

I am facing two nights in a hotel room alone. Formerly this was an opportunity to take the fetters off and rip it up with booze. At home I was still pretending to have some control over my drinking, but on the road, no such worries. No one at the hotel to notice how many times I was refilling my glass or how often (or if I was just drinking straight from the bottle - so nasty!)

My AV will be very active those two nights. I know this, so I am preparing for it. Plenty of activities planned and bringing along some stuff to do. Boredom is my AV's playground, so I am making a plan to eliminate it from this trip. Probably see me on SR, too.

I know the emotional onslaught of urge is coming, but I am ready to bat that AV down.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are smart! Stay close and post if you need backup!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Be sure to ask them to remove any alcohol from the mini fridge.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Check in here as much as possible. That will help too.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck! What happens after though?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
What happens after though?
After what?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After your two days in a hotel? Just wondering if you plan to stay sober or not. None of my business of course..
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hello Nons, why not look up an AA meeting? I can tell that you are a very interesting person, and you could easily hook up with some locals at a meeting. My AA group held an impromptu potluck for the last visitors at our meetings.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Good thinking Nonsensical.

I had an unplanned 'drunk' with a few friends at a conference this year and am very fortunate to not have gotten myself into a stickier situation.

Planned sobriety for 2-day hotel stay:

Bring your 'jock-iest' running shorts and tee-shirt (two of them).
Running shoes
Neon socks** or just some biking socks...they are often funny looking anyway
Bjorn Borg headband in the hair or on the bald head plus optional wristbands

**Of course standing out is not a necessity but looking funny sure does make it a whole lot more fun.

Case of favorite seltzer water because whatever they charge you will be too much in my opinion. (how did I get so cheap after spending a fortune on good beers, I have no idea).

If you do not want to do the above, you could always bring your favorite speedo for the hot tub

hee-hee-he
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

suggestion

I find that reading about sobriety, such as a memoir or a self-help book helps quite a bit. Right now I am reading A Purpose Driven Life and it keeps me on the right track.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

OK, I made the drive up here. Got checked in and my clothes ironed for tomorrow. Time for bed. A rather uneventful first night. Just how I wanted it.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you enjoy your sober trip.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did this a few times since I quit in January. Planned my trip and especially solo time in detail. Not sure where you are, but if it's a place with interesting sights and safe to walk, getting out is good distraction and you can see new things. Go out to watch a movie or a show in the evening. I hit the gym of the hotel when I could. Also scheduled work when I had nothing else to do locally.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Non.

I was away in a hotel for a few nights in April--like the "old you," the "old me" used to see that as an opportunity to let loose and imbibe to my heart's content (without an audience). During this recent trip, however, I made sure that I had:

loads of reading material
munchies in my room
a case (pretty much) of bottled water

I sat by the indoor pool while reading, ordered dessert through room service both nights, and watched a movie. I worked out two times each day (am/pm). I also stuck close to SR. It was a whole new experience--waking up feeling rested/refreshed in a hotel room!

Is the weather good where you are? Might be nice to get out for a walk, especially if there are sights to see.

You sound well-prepared! Take good care of yourself and ENJOY your time away!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'd try hitting an AA meeting. That's the only solution I found.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I second the AA recommendations but if that's not you, it's ok. You did the smart thing, the right thing in making a good plan. I relate to a lot of what was said on this thread though, I did some of my most destructive drinking in hotel rooms. I thought at one time I might die in one. Probably not quite the same type of place you are staying tho. Good that you have a plan, it's actually pretty cool to do something in a new place rather than get drunk and pass out in it.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eat lots of food (drinks don't sound so good when you're full). Drink lots of non-alcoholic drinks (sparking water, soda, whatever you enjoy). Post here frequently to remember why you're here. Go to an AA meeting or two before you head out and get some phone #s, just in case you have an urge and want to talk to someone on the phone. You're planning and that's really great. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are smart to have a plan and a positive attitude to help you follow through, nonsensical.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Non, glad the trip and first night were uneventful. Maybe you could carry on the weekender photo theme and post pictures of interesting things. I thought of you as I drove past a bunch of houses with Adirondack chairs, in pairs, sitting in front. I saw an orange pair, a blue pair and a red pair. ,must be the thing.

Or you could think up some puns for a Memorial Day weekender thread. I'd try an AA meeting but that's me and has been on my mind since I had to miss mine tonight because I a had no child care and wanted my house to still be here when I returned.

Have a peaceful evening.