Notices

Housing Situation

Old 07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Housing Situation

Hey, I just got sober on 5/24 and moved into an Oxford house last week. I am a gay man and felt extremely uncomfortable there. I moved out and am back in my apt. Anybody have any suggestions on other living situations that might work out for someone in early recovery? -- Squirmish in Seattle
Old 07-05-2004, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

justintime-

What is it about your apartment that makes it inapporiate for you in recovery? Are you going to meetings? What form of support do you have?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is Oxford house a place for transitional living for recovery addicts?

If you felt so uncomfortable there, maybe living at your apartment and getting support from meetings and other recovering addicts would be preferable.

Congratulations on your recovery and you can get lots of support by hanging around here at SR. There are a lot of great people here who understand what you're going through.

Love, Anna
Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

(((((((((((justintime))))))))))))

Congratulations on your recent choice to live sober and free! Good for you. The rewards will be amazing. I believe that our recovery can work wherever we are..because for me recovery begins in my heart. If I keep my heart and desire in wanting RECOVERY more than I need it..I can succeed each day..sober and free. I understand the wanting and feeling as if you nned more support..a constant net if you will. I myself went through this phase.I am married, two children..home alone all week, husband stays gone 5 days at atime..I really thought I would fail having to do it without any intensive support. But it can be done....If one really needs a firmer foundation though I think it is wise to seek it out. I don't know of any other arrangements that may be of benefit to you..but I am sure others will be along soon. hang in there, okay? It is sooo scary at first...shaky ground we walk on because the steps we must take are not all together yet..but it comes together. It gets better, and your confidence will grow.

Keep posting and reaching out.....((((((((((((Warmest Hugs)))))))))))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dangel1.jpg (37.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-05-2004, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Post Thanks for the replies..........

Thanks everybody! Yeah, I guess I just feel unsure of myself at home. I've been going to a meeting everyday and stuff. I get along well with people, but have a hard time getting to be friends with anyone. Today, Ive been feeling bored and wanting to use a bit.

BTW -- Oxford housing was suggested to me by my Intensive Outpatient program, because living alone was identified as a trigger. Well, I didnt give it long, but I was there a week. It wasn't for me right now, so i guess im gonna try living alone.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I don't have any suggestion for living situation. If you're going to live alone, be careful!

Here's a simple suggestion...... get the book "Living Sober" at your AA meetings...... that has it all. It's about $2.50 and the groups will usually give it to you if you don't have the $$$$. If you are in NA, maybe pop by an AA meeting. This book works well for AA and NA.

Do you have a hobby? If so, can you use it to occupy your mind? Can you develop a hobby? Get out of the house.... go for walks when you feel like using. If you have any liquor in the house, CHUCK IT! Stay online here, posting and replying.

All easy solutions to a tough problem. I wish I had something better for you.