Notices

Dave from Ireland.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dave from Ireland.

Hi my name is Dave

I am from Ireland and I have been drinking fairly heavily since I was 16 and I am not a month sober. I was a functioning alcoholic kind off because I managed to keep my **** together and only drink at night (most of the time). I have never got in any trouble because of drink with the law or anything. But I was drinking 6-10 Irish size cans of beer a night which I think are even bigger than american size.

So the reason I decided to quit was because like I said above I was a functioning alcoholic king of in the sense that I didn't get into trouble but I have really went slow with progress like I am only now into the second year of my degree because I was so unmotivated cause of alcohol. I spent most of my years working and quitting or doing very meaningless courses. I went back at 19 to finish the Irish version of High School which was finished at 21 and now in college doing computing. My main problem with alcohol was it was making me really anxious and depressed and I am only now after being off it a month is my head starting to get right. I also have gained 4-5 stone cause of all the extra calories and I don't really know myself when I look in the mirror.

I am hoping this forum might be able to be a refuge from the alcohol obsessed country that I live in. Things are starting to look up though I am starting second year of college soon, I am exercising and weight is coming off, my head is starting to a bit more clear but that will take a while to get back after so many years I assume. I also have some bad insomnia cause I was used to the alcohol to help go asleep.

So basically what I am saying is hi all and I am sorry if my spelling was wrong up there cause its half 9 in the morning here and I didn't sleep last night.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave my name is Cliff and I'm in England:-)

Good to see you here!

Loved your post! When I was your age my version of functioning was the same. In hindsight I was at college walking round with a great big ball and chain round my ankle whilst trying to convince myself it wasn't there and I was ok!

First I had to stop drinking and then, for me, get some help very quickly because I couldn't get more than a few months without alcohol together maximum and that would only happen if I suffered a major consequence first.

You considered brightening up an AA meeting? We could always do with some more bright young guys in the rooms!
Old 05-17-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dave

D
Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SoberDavid View Post
Hi my name is Dave

I am from Ireland and I have been drinking fairly heavily since I was 16 and I am not a month sober. I was a functioning alcoholic kind off because I managed to keep my **** together and only drink at night (most of the time). I have never got in any trouble because of drink with the law or anything. But I was drinking 6-10 Irish size cans of beer a night which I think are even bigger than american size.

So the reason I decided to quit was because like I said above I was a functioning alcoholic king of in the sense that I didn't get into trouble but I have really went slow with progress like I am only now into the second year of my degree because I was so unmotivated cause of alcohol. I spent most of my years working and quitting or doing very meaningless courses. I went back at 19 to finish the Irish version of High School which was finished at 21 and now in college doing computing. My main problem with alcohol was it was making me really anxious and depressed and I am only now after being off it a month is my head starting to get right. I also have gained 4-5 stone cause of all the extra calories and I don't really know myself when I look in the mirror.

I am hoping this forum might be able to be a refuge from the alcohol obsessed country that I live in. Things are starting to look up though I am starting second year of college soon, I am exercising and weight is coming off, my head is starting to a bit more clear but that will take a while to get back after so many years I assume. I also have some bad insomnia cause I was used to the alcohol to help go asleep.

So basically what I am saying is hi all and I am sorry if my spelling was wrong up there cause its half 9 in the morning here and I didn't sleep last night.

Hi Dave
Welcome, look forward to getting to know you.
Take care.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All the best and welcome to you Dave!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave
Old 05-17-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Good luck with the sleeping, I tried to remember that even with a few hours it was better quality sleep and it soon felt better than a hangover. My first month was an emotional roller coaster at times which felt quite frightening and far more permanent than it was ,time will suddenly show you life is going to get so much better and that's before you look at your bank account.
John.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Hi Dave my name is Cliff and I'm in England:-)

Good to see you here!

Loved your post! When I was your age my version of functioning was the same. In hindsight I was at college walking round with a great big ball and chain round my ankle whilst trying to convince myself it wasn't there and I was ok!

First I had to stop drinking and then, for me, get some help very quickly because I couldn't get more than a few months without alcohol together maximum and that would only happen if I suffered a major consequence first.

You considered brightening up an AA meeting? We could always do with some more bright young guys in the rooms!
Yeah alcohol is nightmare and very hard to beat. I am away from it a month now and feel so much better. I am behind in where I should be in life but the weight that I gained which makes me feel like crap can be lost and I am behind in my education being in second year of college at twenty four but that is not a big problem either really. If I manage to stay clean and focused I can get my life back and my weight back in order.

Sorting my head out is my first focus cause the alcohol has rightly messed up the chemicals in my brain. The exercise and weight loss will greatly help with that. So just have to steer away from the devils nectar, hard part will be have a holiday planned in Majorca in two weeks and staying sober there will be a challenge.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dave!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Dave!! Great to have you onboard!!
Shame in this country Ireland there is so much of a focus on alcohol, really makes it tough to move on from it. I will just use this forum as another place to stay focused. With good exercise, good eating, new hobies ( including this forum ) I will hopefully be successful this time.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, David. Welcome to SR!

This great forum, exercising, healthy eating have worked miracles on my sobriety and overall recovery of my life.

Best luck to you on your sobriety journey)
Old 05-17-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, David. Welcome to SR!

This great forum, exercising, healthy eating have worked miracles on my sobriety and overall recovery of my life.

Best luck to you on your sobriety journey)
Yeah best to stay active and keep my mind off it. Really crap that I only barely made it through the college year due to drink but at least I managed to pass the year and will just pull myself together and get my head down next year.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just giving an update on myself since I first posted. I am getting on very well in college at the moment and haven't touched a drink since my first post.

I'm starting to notice the health benefits like having more energy. My mind feels so clear where as before it felt like there was a constant fog hanging over me. I have lost two stone from the exercising I have been doing the fill the void that alcohol left and from the less calories being consumed from beer.

Life is feeling so much better with alcohol and hoping to not look back.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear Dave

D
Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Great to hear Dave

D
Yeah it was a rough road but I learned so much about myself and I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to have a good career going after my degree which I never would have completed if I didn't quit drinking. I am hoping to get back physically to what I was when I was 18, I'm only 24 now but the 6 heavy years of drinking have taken their toll so I will need to eat healthy and exercise to get back to who I was before. looking in the mirror seeing an overweight guy just doesn't feel like me, I don't think I noticed it as much when I was drinking.

Come next summer I will have one year left on my course and hopefully be healthier cause I know I wont drink again (hopefully).
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Losing 2 stone is unreal! Seriously good effort mate.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davethewave View Post
Losing 2 stone is unreal! Seriously good effort mate.
Cheers I was a beer drinker and was drinking about 4 liters or 8 cans a night we have 500ml cans here so that is a huge amount of calories to not be taking in, also the foot that comes with the beer is gone. Take in the extra energy I have to exercise now cause I am not hungover it is just a breeze to lose it and it all stems from not drinking.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great stuff Dave!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello soberdavid really nice to meet yo
Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hello soberdavid really nice to meet yo
Nice to meet you soberwolf, thanks for all the support peeps