Notices

Its Friday

Old 05-16-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its Friday

Hi,

I am new to the forum and look forward in participating. I am only on day five and this will be my first Friday night that I do not drink since I can remember(of what I do remember)....

I am bugging out...I am so used to the routine, that I am running out of things that I can do to distract me..This sucks because all of my friends drink...I cannot think of one that doesn't. What does that mean? I am friendless until I find a new group of sober friends? I have family but they are not near me. Any response will appreciated as I feel like I am rambling...I will tell more about myself later, I just need to get over this hump.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and hang in there.

There is a lot of information and support here. Dive in and do some reading. All of my friends were drinking buddies until I drank away the drinkers.

I attend AA and that is where I have found most of my current friends. They are true friends.

One day at a time. Friday is just a day.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you can do this!!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Well done on your 5 days!

Keep busy, go visit relatives like an old grand mother that most likely does not drink.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cflex. I quit on a Monday as well and I remember that first Friday. It sucked. I was SO used to throwing back 7 or 8 drinks on a Friday afternoon.

It's OK to struggle. We all did. Read the excellent post from james186 from earlier today for some excellent ideas on getting through the day. And then do it. Get through the day. Just get through the day.

When you wake up tomorrow morning, hangover-free, you will feel proud, not ashamed. You will feel good, not nauseous and tired. Your weekend will be spent trying to do all of the productive, fulfilling things that sober people do, instead of being spent in an unproductive fog of drunkenness.

So, gut it out. Just get through today. You won't regret it.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Cflexbxny View Post
Hi,

I am new to the forum and look forward in participating. I am only on day five and this will be my first Friday night that I do not drink since I can remember(of what I do remember)....

I am bugging out...I am so used to the routine, that I am running out of things that I can do to distract me..This sucks because all of my friends drink...I cannot think of one that doesn't. What does that mean? I am friendless until I find a new group of sober friends? I have family but they are not near me. Any response will appreciated as I feel like I am rambling...I will tell more about myself later, I just need to get over this hump.

Huge congrats on 5 days, just try to stay focused, drinking took up so much of our lives that sometimes it feels like learning to exist again,
But we will get there with the great support provided by SR.
Have a great weekend.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am trying the surfing idea but right now its seems like the wave ends at the liquor store!!! LOL.. I have to laugh because it is a convoluted way to think, but I guess that is the mind of an alcoholic.

Its raining hard so I am debating whether to go to a meeting. The closest one is a 45 minute walk....Funny if that were the nearest liquor storm, I would have no problem walking in a nor'easter to get it... I think to myself, (What A Dumb Ass!)

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When all else failed I went to bed, whether I slept or not, each morning was better than the last. It takes awhile to change your habits, and the craving does eventually go away, but honestly it just sucks at the beginning which is why I don't ever want to go back there.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so happy and grateful that I found this place! Talking/writing it out makes a difference!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my first day. Usually by this time I'd be well through my second bottle of wine. I'm posting here to distract myself.

Well done for five days, you can do this! Do you read much? I'm watching a film then heading to bed with a book.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on five days sober! Stay here and read and post if you're feeling tempted. Read our stories in the Stories of Recovery forum. That will occupy your mind for a while.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5
Old 05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You definitely didn't ramble Cflex. We all remember those early days & how strange it feels. It will be so worth it though.

I stayed close to SR when I was first quitting. I was filled with anxiety - and not feeling alone anymore really saved the day. I love your comment about going out in a nor'easter. Ain't it the truth? It's great to be free, and you can do this.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to freak out Cflexbxny

I worried about all this future stuff too and damn near climbed the walls - but it all works out, trust me

All you have to do tonight is stay sober

D
Old 05-16-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum!

I cleaned toilets and, I'll be honest, sang out loud while doing so.

Rearranged sock drawers. Not fun, but effective.

Post here and read often