Notices

Need help with this...CRAVINGS!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help with this...CRAVINGS!

So i guess my question applies to anyone that is struggling with addiction. I am on day 6 of my sobriety from opiates specifically oxycontin, and although all of my physical withdrawels have subsided, how do i deal with the mental cravings, I have tried to keep myself busy it helps for a short amount of time. Any advice?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Maybe Urge Surfing?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is your situation? Working, home alone, living with others?
  # 4 (permalink)  

It will become increasingly easier to forget the pain of withdrawal. I got caught more than once listening my AV and thinking I could just have a few beers.

I always ended up at square 1 from a 4 day binge.

Stay strong you are doing great! Can you go to support meetings?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am working from the home, i live with my two children and dont have much support, i cannot go to meetings, i have searched urge surfing its definitely something to try, i thank everyone for their input.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you feel the urge, get involved with the children. Even if it's a short break from your working routine. It will clear your head and create a diversion. Think good thoughts.
When you feel you are getting a craving, take a step back. Refocus your attention on something else for a few minutes. Cravings only last a short time. Talk to it - tell it to go away or else! Do what you can to get over these little humps in the road. They will become less and less as time goes on.
Be stronger than that voice in your head.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anewlife, I'm on day 7 of a oxy habit, and to be honest this is my first time getting off the pills, and I'm probably not the most qualified to offer advice. But I have had the urges, and I have found a lot of things that are working for me. #1 I am awarding myself at day 30 by putting together a new long range rifle. So when the urge hits I jump on line and start looking at all the parts that I need, it helps to make me focus. #2, I PRAY! #3 I have several mental images burnt into my head of times that I was using that I'm ashamed of, I make myself think of those times. By the time I'm done thinking of these, I'm angry and ready to fight! I just think that we need to give it some time, this will pass. I imagine that you have a deep love for your children, use that. I can't really give you advice on what to do with your kids, "I can't even get a plant to grow", but I'm sure there are some fun things that you can do to occupy your mind. This doesn't have to be a horrible, depressing time for us. After all we are just starting to live again, and I for one am excited. Hang in there!