Notices

I'm on day 2

Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2

I posted here yesterday for the first time and feel really good about it. Yesterday was such an emotional mess of a hangover, emotions and regret. I cried all day, my children saw it. Today I am going to put my big girl pants on and start fresh. I lost my car because of being impaired, I will take my kids on a bus and go to the park. I still haven't decided what to tell my friends, for now I won't say anything.
My Husband has calmed down after the news. He works out of town and I won't see him for another two weeks or so. I told him that I have realized I am an alcoholic. I've never said the words out loud. I don't think he can quite get how serious I am about realizing how bad I have gotten or how hard it is for me to change. He's never had a trauma in his life and in the 10 years we have been together, I have never seen him drunk.
I would like to attend AA meetings or something similar but I am a stay at home Mom with young kids and no child care so I don't think that will happen for a while.
I am very thankful to have found this site!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll find a way to get through it! Welcome to the site!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job!! . . . with each day that passes, it gets better!! . . . Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on day 2. You will find a lot of support here
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get through today, Americanpie. Just focus on today. Do what you need to get through the day without picking up that first drink. When you wake up sober tomorrow, you will plan for that day.

For today, drink lots of water, stay close to SR, and stay strong.

Good luck. We are pulling for you.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are online AA meetings amPie...many meetings offer childcare too, I'm told?

D
Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Americanpie - Well done on your Day 2. It'll keep getting a bit easier each day. I'm glad you found us too. Better days are coming.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's a meeting here in the chat room at 9pm EDT tonight. That can be your meeting.

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi AmericanPie...thanks for the user name which, for whatever reason, brings up memories of a great summer singing out loud with the Black Crowes blasting on the radio.

Welcome to the forum! This is an amazing resource.

I am 17 Days sober today, also have two young daughters and know that whatever your external circumstances, sobriety is essential by whatever means possible.

My keys to success thus far are:

1. Waking up and going to sleep with "one day at a time" (or second, minute, through bath time, story time...) being a short term goal. My long term goal is sobriety...what happens between this moment and then is unknown, but up to me.

2. Popping in here to post & read between baskets of laundry (Bah!) or whatever the tasky thingies of the day (I'm far from being a domestic Diva...this takes work for me) as often as possible.

3. The good folks here have more collective wisdom than I could ever have imagined. With my circumstances right now this has been a Godsend.

4. Having a hard moment but do not have the time to read? Post your question and ask for feedback. Even if you forget to ask for feedback...people will let you know what they think

5. Can you afford a babysitter for an hour periodically so you can focus on you? A good walk with deep breaths and 'you' time or time to eat a real meal? If there is a local school then students are often very happy to have a job if even for just one hour.

6. I'm super goal oriented today because it is Friday and this is often both stressful and relieving. This is when I am prone to 'listing' my thoughts and doing everything in small chucks to feel a sense of accomplishment This is also when I used to do some damage with drinking.

Be gentle with yourself. People around you in your life may not understand the what or why of your sobriety. Try to be OK with this. You and your sobriety need to be a goal. Small chunks of time...big prize
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi AmericanPie,
Today is Day 2 for me too. Yesterday I was a complete wreck, today it's just a whole lot of physical and mental pain. Today I took my wife and daughter to lunch and some toy shopping, I hope it meant something to them. I feel like I can never fix what I have done. But I did not drink today. And I won't. I guess for now that's the only thing I can do that matters. I hope you do the same and we can keep in touch. Congratulations on Day 2.