Notices

arent we in this together?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad I didn't make the list Mentium
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well it is only a list of one and I was very cranky at the time (booze will do that..)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Your list seems a lot like my bank account "ALMOST EMPTY"
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always try and remember that everyone has taken time out of their day to try and help.

Whether we find them helpful or not, encouraging or not, we should try and at least acknowledge that, I think.

I estimate I've read hundreds of thousand of posts here, the vast majority of those are helpful - including some I didn't think were helpful at the time, but I got the wisdom of later.

for the other 1% or whatever everyone's free to use the ignore function, or the report post if you feel it breaks rules

D
Old 05-17-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
I have to say this. Some people are posting things on comments that are DIScouraging rather than helpful. Someone in early recovery needs to hear positive things not the opposite, like pretty much stating im wrong for feeling the way i do about my recovery. Everyone is different and just because you didnt drink in every activity you did and you found joy in that doesnt mean its not possible. I woukd like to keep posting here but there have been a few people i feel could be more compassionate. Im all for tough love IF there is obvious compassion behind it. These short abrupt comments arent a good thing for anyone in early recovery.
I'm genuinely sorry you felt so strongly that you started a thread about this. But, it's an important issue and early sobriety is a very emotional time.

Please remember, like others have said, people want you to win, not fail. We also don't know what may inspire or motivate you. Sometimes tough love is hard to take too.

I will often look back at a posters previous posts to get a feel for where their head is at. I suggested that one poster wasn't being honest with themself about their past drinking slips and to me, that's fundamental - being honest with yourself about your illness is the only way to deal with the issues.

You cannot fix what you don't acknowledge. Maybe sometimes posters have wanted to point things out to you you may not have considered, but to my earlier point, everyone does want you to win, not fail.

I posted earlier this week on a similar old thread on the topic.

Early sobriety can be an emotional time, but all of us have our hiccups along the way, whether being long term Sober or not. Some days we struggle, some we don't.

Sometimes I'd read posts early on and some posters would annoy me....just generally...but some of those posters are now people I look to as very insightful.

Fundamental to our alcoholism, we don't want to deal with bad stuff, we are emotionally immature - I understand now that's why I got upset on some posts.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

for the other 1% or whatever everyone's free to use the ignore function, or the report post if you feel it breaks rules

D
I've had a look around and I can't work out how to report a post (no-one in this thread!).
Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I've had a look around and I can't work out how to report a post (no-one in this thread!).
On the left - Little red triangle under your avatar, down the bottom.