Notices

day 1

Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

I quit drinking for months then it slowly came back... now im back to smoking an drinking... i drank everyday the last two weeks. Im so afraid of slipping back to where i was.... someone please help... i felt so great sober.. how could i slip back to this again...
Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cheryl178, not sure what "slowly came back" means. Did you think you could have one or two over a period of time and it spiraled? Or was it just relapse behaviors that you succumbed to and dove right in to alcoholic drinking again?

Either way, you already know the consequences. You know what needs to be done. Make a plan for yourself and use available resources to get back on the sober path.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I relate to this. I'm coming off a relapse, myself. I think every problem drinker wants to believe they can control their addiction and handle alcohol like a normal person. Most people can take it or leave it. We can't. There is no cutting back. No slowing down. We can't have ANY alcohol. Or we spiral out of control.

I applaud you for being sober today and pray for your continued strength to beat this.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Addiction can be progressive, starts with a beer or glass of wine and within weeks blacking out into bed and throwing up in the bathroom each morning becomes the reality very very quickly.

You need to nip it in the bud before things spiral again, don't beat yourself up though, many of us have been there, just commit to Sobriety and go at it again!!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did it a hundred times. Literally. Over the course of many years.
It kept happening because I'm an alcoholic and was addicted to cigarettes, too.
I managed periods of sobriety, as have you. But with all my best intensions, I always went back to my old habits. Holding my head in my hands, sometimes crying, saying 'How could this happen again'?
But it kept happening. For years, and I was a daily drinker, too.

I finally made a call to AA after a particularly vicious drunk, that turned into a four day hangover, and met a man who knew where I was coming from.
From there, I went to a meeting and there were people there just like me. I didn't know that. I couldn't admit my problem, but they could and it made sense to me.

This seemingly hopeless drunk has now been sober three years four months. I haven't had a cigarette in fifty days.
Don't give up on quitting. It took me a long time to become an out of control alcoholic, and it took me a long time to get sober.
You can do it. Just don't give up. Never give up.
This is a great place for support, and I hope you find it.
Best to you.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome back Cheryl

My drinking would always creep back incrementally too - one glass...then 2...then 4...

what did you do to quit last time?

D
Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I failed many times before I finally 'got it'. Keep at it. Don't give up. Keep trying to quit, with all your heart. You'll get it.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, I am sorry you are back at day 1.

We all believe in you, maybe like Dee said you need to add support to your recovery.

One thing for sure, beating yourself down is not necessary. Hard for us because Alcohol is a depressant, so it's a vicious circle to gather up the strength to detox and when we fall have a tendency to feel stuck and put ourselves down.

Climb back we are here to help, togheter!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Cheryl. I'm glad that you came back to SR. I hope that this is your last day one.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't know why we let ourselves be led back into hell, but I did it too.

I was a slow learner - always believing I could somehow control it through willpower. I guess there was one small part of me that needed further convincing. The last time I binged I almost lost my life, & that's when I found SR. It doesn't need to come to that for you. You can get it right this time Cheryl. We're all here for you.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank u guys for being there for me. But i really thought i could just have one drink on weekends after being sober for awhile. It quickly within a few weeks is one back at every day.. an i instantly started back smoking to smh... i can't even have one damn drink without this happening to me.. i was so happy sober and felt great... i had a lot of energy to.. now im coughing and dehydrated and tired and feel crappy.. i hope this time i don't go through withdrawal since its just been a few weeks..
Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of water and Gatorade.
Try to rest if you can.