Notices

Get a grip, Mags

Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Get a grip, Mags

I've done everything possible to make Merlin, my cat, comfortable whilst I'm on holiday.

A quick history, my brother died when I was nearly ten, he was twelve, he was mentally and part physically handicapped and Alfie was a happy lad, we was close. My mum and dad didn't want any more kids after Alfie because it was a big demand on them, then I came but instead of an hindrance I was a help.

My dad said I was put on this earth as our Alfie's protector, to take care of him. So when he died, we did what the English do and didn't talk about it, dealt with his death each of us on our own. My mum got me cat.

Since then there has always been a cat in my life which I bond with and care for, like any pet lover.

So back to today, I'm fretting on holiday over my cat, I did when we went on holiday in September and my husband said we shouldn't go on holiday if I'm going to spoil the holiday again fretting over my cat.

He ran away last holiday, but came back, he's scared of something different, very timid. Think he was cruelly treated before I got him from the rescue.
I got a cat flap, made facilities for him to get in the garage, which i saw him go in before we went, my friend who is visiting twice a day and staying over some says says he's in and out the cat flap, we have to have it pinned open, he's not learnt to push it with his head yet.

Sorry for rambling. But I have to get a grip. I can't seem to let go! I just want to enjoy my holiday, ignore the booze and miss my cat normally, like normal people do. I haven't spoke about it to my husband, we end up arguing.

Any ideas, please. It's not just a menopause thing, I've rescued animals all my life and cared for them.
I've got a library of self help books, visited therapists, if I knew my cat was happy I'd be ok. Help!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mags

I have no experience to share, but I know others will.
I hope you find some peace and enjoy this holiday

D
Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's never easy leaving a family member behind. My dogs are working dogs and I depend on them to save my life if need be, so I don't take leaving them lightly. So what I started doing was having whoever was watching after them take a picture daily for me. It calmed me right down, and I knew that they were happy and healthy. Go enjoy your vacation, or "holiday" as you would say, your kitty will be just fine.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had cats in the past and currently two wonderful Border terriers. My experience is that while dogs are pretty helpless without their keepers around cats can pretty much look after themselves. They keep us! With food available and a warm place to sleep, especially with a cat flap you should be fine. If your cat has moved out when you get home, which I'm sure it won't it will just be because it has found a human with a food upgrade!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks lablife I know we don't take leaving our pets lightly, normally I would drink to take the worry away but that's not on my menu.

I realise I've gotta be a big girl and grow up and face life, not bury my head.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
I've had cats in the past and currently two wonderful Border terriers. My experience is that while dogs are pretty helpless without their keepers around cats can pretty much look after themselves. They keep us! With food available and a warm place to sleep, especially with a cat flap you should be fine. If your cat has moved out when you get home, which I'm sure it won't it will just be because it has found a human with a food upgrade!
Hi Mentium, yes, dogs are loyal creatures aren't they, cats wouldn't give us a second glance if they was in that frame of mind, haha. Feed me, stroke me, love me now leave me alone, that's my cat and lots of others.
I just feel like I've abandoned him, I know I haven't, I just hope he knows that.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Your first line says all that needs to be said. You have done everything you can to make Merlin comfortable in you absence. You can do nothing more while you are gone. Your worrying is for naught.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Yes, I agree Doggonecarl, I've done the best I can.but.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
but....
But nothing, Everything will be okay Enjoy your holiday.

I have four cats and I love them all. Merlin will be fine. He will be happy to see you when you get home in only the way a cat can. Purr, aloof, purr, aloof..lol

Smile!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ha ha , thanks GracieLou.xx
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to have cats, and one thing I know for sure is if your going to leave any pet on their own, a cat is the one to leave, they are independent and don't need constant supervision, they have a survival instinct to just get on with things.

Merlin will be fine, he'll roam around and be there for you when you get back!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks purpleknight, I feel a fool for worrying when there's more important stuff going on in the world.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Mags)))

All will be well.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mags, if it will ease your mind I'll bring my belgium over to watch your cat while your gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bite.jpg (48.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lol lablife, I'll not take you up on your generous offer of your doggie cat sitting, haha. Thanks anyway
Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, Mags. Your story brought back memories of my younger sister, Laura, who died of a congenital birth defect when she was 7. I was 8 when she died. We were the two youngest siblings and we were inseparable until she died. I am 50 now but I still think of her often, picturing her as the beautiful 7 year old little sister that I loved very much.

This isn't helpful to your cat situation I know. But your post made me think of Laura.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi! I know how you must feel. We have four cats and I tend to worry when we travel Sounds like your cat is going to be just fine. Lucky to have you as an owner too! Enjoy your holiday.