Notices

Day 1.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1.

Hey guys. Well I've decided to stop drinking. I tried this once before (about 18 months ago). I went to AA but It did not work for me. I gave it a shot but I couldn't get my head wrapped around the "higher power." I convinced myself that I wasn't powerless and that I was in control and the choice to drink or not drink was mine.....ya that didn't work. So here I am...I know I'm a binge drinker. I don't drink every day but the two times a week has turned to three the six pack has turned to 12 and the pint has turned to two. The morning hangover has become an all day event. I have a six pack in the fridge and I'm not going to pour it out. I'm going to leave it there and not drink it. Hopefully posting on here well help me. Hopefully ill post "Day 2.........90 and so on. Can anyone give me some ideas or alternatives to AA?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum, you'll find loads of support here!!

There are other alternatives to AA, some that are more secular, a few suggestions are:

-SMART Recovery
-SOS - Secular Organisations for Sobriety
-LifeRing Secular Recovery
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by TheBigC View Post
I have a six pack in the fridge and I'm not going to pour it out. I'm going to leave it there and not drink it.
Why tempt yourself. I know it's easy to just go down the street and get beer anytime we want, so not having it in the house isn't going to keep us sober if we are determined to drink.

But why make it any easier for our addiction then it already is.

Reconsider keeping the beer.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trash the booze. Keep it out of sight. I would avoid commercials to, party movies, friends that drink...at least for a while. Read a book, take a walk, find a hobby, try to keep your mind busy elsewhere. My $02.

Oh, and what do you think? Let's get sober together. I'm starting over today, myself.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ya....the beer is gone. Dumped it. I've been doing some research on the "SMART" recovery group. There are weekly meetings in my area. Any experience with this?? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, but AA didn't work for me either. It just wasn't there for me when I was feeling weak. That's the great thing about SR, it's up 24/7. You'll always find support here.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TheBigC View Post
Ya....the beer is gone. Dumped it. I've been doing some research on the "SMART" recovery group. There are weekly meetings in my area. Any experience with this?? Thanks.
I'd recommend going to at least see what it's all about. I attended a both AA and SMART meetings when I first started out and both were helpful. Worst case scenario is you spend an hour with some people who have exactly they same problem and goal as you do.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better man in progress!

I suggest you read rational recovery, its a new approach to being sober, which fit extremely well with me.

I tried the AA approach and i didnt like it, the rational recovery keeps you in charge and make you rely on yourself instead of the HIGHER POWER...

Hope u like!!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BigC - I'm so glad you decided to join us. We're here to give you support & encouragement.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Big C

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

You'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here we go day 2. I've got the book "Rational Recovery" reserved at the bookstore.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here's what I'm feeling now. Like I said earlier, I am not and never was a daily drinker so in the normal course of affairs I wouldn't be drinking this afternoon of tonight after work. I'd probably wait until tomorrow. But I'm feeling off today??!! Maybe because I already have decided that I'm not drinking anymore and know I won't drink tomorrow??!!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Feeling off is normal I think. You are leaving behind an old friend, normal to grief and feel sad.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congratulations on seeing the pattern and deciding to do something about it.

wish I'd done the same back when my own patterns were like what you describe.

my suggestion is go to AA and give it some time. You may not find it is your solution longer term but there are helpful elements you can take from it and in your first 3-6 months, having all the support you can is important. It can be a real challenge to maintain your conviction and having the direct, in person experience and support of others who have been there and 'get it' is really powerful.

I am at 137 days and haven't been to AA in a while, but still use it as a part of my sobriety. I have read the Big Book several times. I recommend getting a copy. It'll cost you nothing to pick one up and still nothing further to read it a few times. There is great insight in that book. You have NOTHING to lose, everything to gain.

Keep on checking in here daily. Multiple times daily if need be. Post and read and communicate. Be aware of the messages in your own head, because sooner or later you'll find that there's 'someone' talking to you about how you'd only needed a break or you'll be just fine or this isn't really necessary. Catch that early and act on it immediately. The best way I've found to act on it is to counter it actively; getting to a meeting is one really good, easy, effective action. Making a list of the times you've suffered, been in trouble or regretted drinking is another. Calling someone (another good reason for AA - to have some real live people in your area to call if you need an ear).

Keep at it, you can do this.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find the support you need, here or elsewhere, to stop drinking for good.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't really add much to what others have posted bigC,
I do know this. Yes, you have the power of choice to drink or not to drink. You are NOT powerless. But if you decide to drink and take that first one, then you ARE powerless.

It's like I've seen many times on one members sig line. Once you jump off a cliff, it's too late to realize it was a bad idea. - something like that. I always keep that in the back of my mind.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 1 again
Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some say all we have is a day. I suggest focusing on not drinking today. Don't think about tomorrow, don't think about next weekend, don't think about how maybe you don't really have a problem because you didn't drink every day, don't think about how you don't agree with this recovery group's approach or that group's approach. Just decide for today you aren't going to drink. You don't want to drink today. You don't need to drink today. You can make it one day without a drink.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to go to a detox. I have unlimited resources - excellent insurances/finances - I can go anywhere in any state. Any suggestions?? I want to go,
Old 05-16-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I need help. I had no intentions of drinking yesterday but I found myself at the store (twice)