Notices

Wow-wow-wow

Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow-wow-wow

Day four here, and I'm really blown away with all the things I was blind to in the past!

This isn't the longest I've gone sober, I've gone up to ten-12 days in the last two months. No problem, it wasn't hard. The thing is that this time I'm actually making a conscious effort to quit for good. With that said, last night I woke up multiple times w/ terrible itching. It was THAT bad that it woke me up. I don't think I had ever felt that bad of an itch before. I am a little embarrassed to say this, but on Monday I got this sudden stomach ache and terrible runs. That was new to me. In a previous post I mentioned how my face had swelled up in the past month. It's happened before, but it never actually stayed this way. So this morning I decided to do it, I stepped on the scale. I couldn't believe my eyes... 166.6!!!! I haven't weighed that much since I walked out of the hospital after delivering my son. I gained approx. 16 lbs since Feb. 1st, and a total of 37 lbs since last summer. I don't eat A LOT, at least not to justify the weight gain. So that leaves me with the last culprit... BOOZE! In Feb. I went to Cancun for eight day. An all inclusive sh*t fest.. two weeks later I went to Disneyland where we drank a lot of beer at night, two weeks after that I was off to Spring Training where it was nothing but pure blackedout booze fests. Needless to say, I have been doing quite a bit of binge drinking since the beginning of the year. Could that be the cause behind my sudden (and fast) weight gain?

This morning I woke up cranky, sad, and stressed. Not to mention EXHAUSTED! I just can't seem to find ANY energy to do anything. I slept almost all evening yesterday. That's really not like me as I suffer from bad insomnia. Then at night I kept waking up w/ terrible itching. The funny thing is that this is all new to me. Other times (recent times), where I just stopped drinking I didn't have any of these problems. Could these symptoms just develop overnight? Or do you think it's all in my head now that I'm conscious of my effort to quit drinking? Going to see the Dr. today.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on four days. The itching is a symptom of withdrawal and should go away. It will get better the longer you're sober, so don't drink!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Least. I really don't have any intention of doing so. Last night I skipped Taco Tuesday and for the first time, didn't regret it or whine about it. I was perfectly fine at home while my friends were out having fun. I have absolutely NO desire to drink. I took a picture of myself and couldn't believe how big I've gotten. That alone can serve as motivation.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, booze makes you fat. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months of sobriety...and gained back 40 since I relapsed.

My skin crawled when I quit last time but I had insomnia. As soon as I got over that hump, it got a LOT easier. The first few weeks are the worst but day 3 was pure hell for me...something I get to look forward to again in oh...about 3 days. Yay for me.

I'm so stupid.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We all make mistakes, have hiccups, etc. Just drink a big glass of water and keep moving forward. What made you relapse? My biggest hurdle is going to be those hot summer days that turn into nights.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stupidity. I couldn't handle it the first time. I don't know why I thought I could the second. I was actually at a point where saying no was quite easy. But I love the taste of beer and I missed it. Surely one won't hurt, right? I thought I was in control. And I did control it....for a little while. But one beer doesn't cut it for very long and gradually over time, my drinking esculated. And I was as bad as I ever was, popping the top as soon as I made it through the door from work....or as soon as I got out of bed on the weekends.

If you've ever gone home for lunch on a workday and stared at the refrigerator debating whether or not to have a drink, and it actually sounds like a good idea, you understand my situation.