SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   body jerks as withdrawl symptom (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/332054-body-jerks-withdrawl-symptom.html)

christimc 05-14-2014 08:12 AM

body jerks as withdrawl symptom

First my dr knows and im on klonopin. I just wanna know your weird withdrawl symptoms, makes me feel a little less crazy lol

lablife 05-14-2014 08:25 AM

I came off of oxy, and the jerking legs kept me awake along with the hot/cold flashes. I will leave it at that due to this being a pg site. I hope it goes away soon for you.

Stoogy 05-14-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by christimc (Post 4650107)
First my dr knows and im on klonopin. I just wanna know your weird withdrawl symptoms, makes me feel a little less crazy lol

Yep, I had body shakes, what seemed like uncontrollable hands while at work doing manual tasks which was quite embarrassing to be honest, then the hot and cold sweats at night! All the good stuff eh?

Thankfully only lasted around 3-4 days before I got over the physical aspects.

christimc 05-14-2014 08:31 AM

Yes the cold sweats and shakey hands for sure! Then ill get goose bumps gioseand just a general weird buzzy feeling in my head and body. Not fun. I hope it goes away soon :\

Stoogy 05-14-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by christimc (Post 4650159)
Yes the cold sweats and shakey hands for sure! Then ill get goose bumps gioseand just a general weird buzzy feeling in my head and body. Not fun. I hope it goes away soon :\

I'm sure you will be on the mend sooner rather than later, how long are you sober if you don't mind me asking?

christimc 05-14-2014 08:39 AM

Today is day one so i got a while i think. 4 weeks ago i had been sober for 6 weeks after about 4 years of heavy drinking nightly...almost finish a gallon of whskey or box of wine nightly

Anna 05-14-2014 08:42 AM

I hope you can get through this.

Stoogy 05-14-2014 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by christimc (Post 4650187)
Today is day one so i got a while i think. 4 weeks ago i had been sober for 6 weeks after about 4 years of heavy drinking nightly...almost finish a gallon of whskey or box of wine nightly

I think it's just natural that the longer one drank and the quantity also must make the withdrawals vary so much from person to person, I'm sure if you just do what I did and drink plenty water including a varied diet and plenty rest will you feeling better soon.

Wishing you extremely well.

pupkin 05-14-2014 08:53 AM

Hey christimc, your mood seems decent, hope so anyway. I get the twitchy hands and the night sweats, too. General insomnia, chills, overall achy fluey cr*ppy feeling. I think for me the worst is the super-low, sub-basement anxiety, especially the first couple days...and the feeling of time slowing to an unbelievable crawl, like every hour is an hour closer to being through it but every hour SEEMS to last a day :)

Sincere congrats on your six weeks, though--still a huge accomplishment--and best wishes getting through these next few days and onto the next six weeks (and beyond). I'm on day 4 and feeling much better, can't wait for you to feel the same. Hang tough.

christimc 05-14-2014 09:48 AM

Ty i think i will...im pretty tough. Ive had alot of scarey health problems too which im sure the alcohol exasperated. I have pulmonologist apt in a couple weeks they cant figure out why im short of breath 24~7.

Chicagoan 05-14-2014 11:03 AM

I hope that my story deters anyone in the early
stages of alcoholism to STOP before you have
degenerated to the point that I have.

The last time that I drank was on the 28th of May.
I had been drinking all day and into the night.
I had drank between 18-20 cans of beer,
I had isolated myself in my room for weeks,
drinking between short cat naps. I had built up
such a tolerance to alcohol that I could drink a
12 pack of beer and if you did not see me drinking
or smell the odor, you would never had suspected
that I had been drinking.

During the early morning hours of that last day,
I was bringing the can of beer to my mouth and I
swear it was the voice of God in my mind, clearly
it told me that this must stop now! I set the beer
down on my desk and pondered about what I
had just heard and where did it come from.
Within the hour the DT's set in, now withdraw
was no stranger to me, I had thought that I
had been through some rough withdraws which
usually occurred the next morning, but nothing
like this and never this soon. This was the whopper
of them all!

My anxiety level skyrocketed, I started to shake
uncontrollably, then the pacing started, I was burning
up the carpet pacing, I could not sit down or be still.
I thought that I was going to die, right there and then.
Since I had isolated myself, my wife had been sleeping
on the couch. I went to her and with tears streaming
down and told her that I needed help, I needed detox now!
We contacted three detox centers in the area, they
would not accept my card, one even wanted money
up front. Finally on the fourth call, we found a center
that agreed to accept me. They told me that I must
go to the hospital first to be cleared, which I did.
After an examination and an EKG, I was taken to
detox where they immediately started an IV and
pumped in Vistral and gave me 100mg of Librium.
As I later found out, my BAC level was .36!
How could I be in withdraw with such a high
alcohol level? I never got an answer to that question.

I was so bad off that they kept me for 12 days,
the usual stay is 2-6 days. When my discharge
day arrived, I did not want to leave, I was scared.
There I had 24 hour professional, compassionate
support. I felt like a scared little kid. Well, I went
home and have somewhat adjusted to normal
life without alcohol. I have periods of depression,
anxiety, bad nightmares and memory problems but,
the most important thing is that I am sober today.

I believe that this horrible experience was Godsend,
because the memory of it is one the reasons that
I remain sober today. My wife is very supportive and
I thank God for this site.

My regret is that I didn't stop years ago, who knows
where I would be today? No doubt in a much better
position in life.

Thank You

christimc 05-14-2014 11:10 AM

Ty for sharing!i know doubt wouldve been drinking during work if i didnt make the decision to stop. I have a long road but im willing.

Chicagoan 05-14-2014 11:57 AM

That road is going to be full of bumps
and potholes but, eventually you will
be on a much smoother highway.

You CAN do it!

Tetra 05-14-2014 11:57 AM

Yes, I used to get myoclonic jerks:

"Myoclonus /maɪˈɒklənəs/ or /maɪəˈkloʊnəs/ is a brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles. It describes a medical sign and, generally, is not a diagnosis of a disease. The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions; they also can result from brief lapses of contraction. Contractions are called positive myoclonus; relaxations are called negative myoclonus. The most common time for people to encounter them is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk), but myoclonic jerks are also a sign of a number of neurological disorders. Hiccups are also a kind of myoclonic jerk specifically affecting the diaphragm".

"A myoclonic jerk is the brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or group of muscles. It may be caused either by a sudden muscle contraction, or a sudden lapse of contraction. This happens when a person is on the verge of falling asleep, and suddenly have a sensation or feeling that they are free falling through the air. Contractions are called positive myoclonus; relaxations are called negative myoclonus. When falling asleep, it is common for people to experience a type of myoclonic jerk known as a hypnic jerk. Hiccups are also a kind of myoclonic jerk specifically affecting the diaphragm".

I also take a small amount of klonopin at night (prescribed by my neurologist) as I have had seizures in the past. I used to get these jerks (my arm or leg would twitch) at any time of the day, not just at night. Since I have quit drinking, they have all cleared up.

Chicagoan 05-14-2014 12:31 PM

Hiccups! I use to get them frequently
after drinking, sometimes
they would last for a couple of hours,
maddening. Somehow I never connected
them with my substance intake.

PAINLESS66 05-14-2014 01:15 PM

RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME... Also known as R.L.S. IS THE MAJOR REASON I HAVE ALWAYS BROKEN WEAK AND STARTED USING AGAIN... But my second detox and hopefully my last one ever my family doctor gave me a mild muscle relaxer which totally put my legs at ease and is probably why today im 1 day short of 60 days clean... I was shot in both legs back in 91 and then had both legs shattered in a horrific car wreck in 2000. Guess Gods just trying to slow me down a bit but the R.L.S. on the legs I have makes it so painfull a mild muscle relaxer is all that i needed and today i feel great. only needed the medication for about a full week and i had it beat. good luck bro...

Andyjenno81 10-11-2019 03:27 PM

Hi,

I'm just in day 3 of withdrawal.

Librium is helping with the normal parts of it, but I can't sleep due to various different muscles in my body constantly twitching/spasm. Some of the twitches are quite strong and not located in one spot but all over.

I thought it might pass but been happening for a few hours.

Is this a reqular occurrence for most people in very early withdrawal?

Thanks,
Andrew

SuficintCrlsns 10-11-2019 04:17 PM

The cold sweats and chills were the worst, never want to go through that again. Mild hallucinations, which, in hindsight in a weird way were kind of fun (people purposely take drugs for trips like that), but still don't want to ever go through that again, either.

SC

Dee74 10-11-2019 04:27 PM

I get restless leg anyway, but yeah I think whole body jerks are pretty common Andyjenno.

D

SoberRican 10-11-2019 05:09 PM

For the most part all them problems will chill out the longer you are off the sauce. Thus when they talk about playing the tape. That is exactly what that is for to remind us of not wanting to booze anymore