Notices

Day 7 bad day want to drink

Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 bad day want to drink

I have been feeling a tremendous amount of sadness,shame,disgust,embarrassment for myself today. Nothing happened in particular I just was thinking about mistakes I've made and feeling like a **** up. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut I'm impulsive and I lack self control. I would love to drink to forget about everything for a few hours but I know I will hate myself tomorrow morning for it. I want to change so many things in my life so badly and sometimes I just don't feel I'm capable of that. Just needed to vent

Last edited by Dee74; 05-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking again will only compound those mistakes gettingbetter.

What about focusing on your achievements for the week instead?

D
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feel your pain(s). Only some 70 days sober and taking it 1 day at a time. Procrastination used to work against me, now I use it daily to stop drinking. I tell myself wait one more day to start drinking again. You can really tie one on tomorrow if you like I think. Each day I do the same thing, perpetually avoiding my next drunk one day at a time. I used to do the exact opposite, telling myself to drink today and get sober tomorrow..LOL. When I go to bed sober, and sleep well, not waking with dry mouth and a hankering for a gallon of water, without a pounding in my head, with a memory of what I did the night before...I think hey, I will try this again today. So on and so forth. Thinking one day at a time, and knowing its not worth it (costs > benefits) are still the two best ways for ME to avoid drinking. Also sharing with other drunks my love for drinking and its bad effects helps as well. Personally, the higher power thing is important in my life but the association to it and drinking cessation is tenuous IMHO.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting . Sometimes I feel this way too. But for me, these funky feelings happen less and less over time.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had those same feelings,
and I and many others know
where you are coming from.

Taking a drink may temporarily
subdue those feelings but, those
same feelings will return when
you wake up. It will not solve
any problems.

It is hard road. When we are sober
and have a clear mind, we tend
revue our past life. Then the
guilt, embarrassment and shame
set in. Just think of alcohol as your
worst enemy. Don't take that drink,
don't give in. You CAN do it!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses it means a lot I didn't give in and drink, it is hard having a clear mind at times and having to deal with feelings but feelings pass I just have to keep on reminding myself that. I ate something and watched the office(it's such a funny show) I'm feeling a lot better now. Its 12:00am so it's day 8 now
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there.
There is always support here.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 8

D
Old 05-14-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I sometimes feel that way. Thanks for posting. I have found that when I am feeling that way telling someone I am thinking about drinking over it AND eating something make the urge to drink go away or beats it down to a much more manageable level. Good job.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8! Your doing a great job fighting that AV. Keep going. It gets quieter I promise.

You have to stop beating yourself up over your past mistakes. You can't go back and fix them. Accept them as a learning experience and forgive yourself. Alcohol is going to do nothing but lure you into bed for a good time and then punish you for days. You know that. Alcohol wants to keep you chained up as it's possession and keep you miserable. Your better than that. Stay strong. I ruined a marriage to an amazing woman several years ago from my drinking and it broke my heart. She didn't deserve that. It was too late for me to try to save the marriage because she just flat fell out of love with me. I don't blame her. A few years later I got remarried to my current wife who is an amazing soul. I started to see my drinking here lately spiral out of control so I decided I was going to be damned if I ruined another marriage and broke someones heart so I quit. So here Iam on day 10 and never going back. So take those mistakes that you can't go back and fix and make them work in a positive manner for you. When you use those mistakes that way it makes you feel on top of the world! Please hang in there. It DOES get better.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When you get more recovery time in you'll beat yourself up less and less until you'll eventually have a different perspective that will include forgiveness for yourself, and others. It will change your life.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are 8 days sober, gettingbetter64. And you are doing great. Everything you are feeling is normal. Know that you are doing the right thing. You really are. If you stay on this path, I guarantee that your life will continue to get better and better.

Stay strong. We are pulling for you.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many good references on here for talking yourself out of drinking. AVRT, RR, AA, and stuff.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I drink I would be so disappointed with myself. Posting on this site when I have the urge really helps so does eating something. I have been binge watching the office for the past week it has been making me laugh and taking up my time and distracting me.