Notices

New to this, journey to support spouse

Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this, journey to support spouse

Nine days ago, after a big argument, my husband decided to stop drinking completely. Before we were married I viewed him as a social drinker, sometimes he will have a beer or two. It was no big deal, I did not think there was a problem. When we got married, he changed his preferred drink to vodka and orange juice, he would drink every night, after work. When our kids were babies, there were times he would pass out on the couch and I was left alone to feed them all night. We started having more arguments, basically I was the constantly accusing him of drinking too much and always passing out on the couch. I guess I was in denial all these years, he was always good at making me feel like I was just nagging him. Right when it felt like the last straw, I even comtemplated separation, he decided to stop drinking. I suggested maybe he should slowely stop drinking, but he wanted to stop cold bc he has no control, and that he has been thinking about it for a while. I am more than willing to support him, but sometimes I don't know how much space I should give him, like sometimes he travels here and there for work and I feel compelled to constantly ask if he's had any urges or if he drank. Sometimes I'll ask him if he's doing ok, and he's says he's fine, I just don't want to come off overbearing. I guess I need some suggestions on how I can support him
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm sorry for your situation.

You might want to check out AlAnon as a support for yourself while your husband works on his recovery. Also, there is a Friends & Families forum on this board where you might like to read and post.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Pisces. I'm glad you've sought help for yourself. It's a complicated situation & I hope being here will help.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ask him if he's drinking and if there is anything you do to offer encouragement