Notices

Very frustrated. Sobriety day 2?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very frustrated. Sobriety day 2?

Hello everyone. This is my first time joining a community or posting in a forum like this. I’ve been trying to work on my drinking for a long time and am hoping that taking this next step will be what finally helps the most. I’ve been in group therapy for about a year and have been seeing an alcohol counselor for the same amount of time. For about six months, I’ve also been taking Topiramate to help try to control my drinking. I’ve made big strides, but it’s become clear that cutting back isn’t for me.

I’m currently 27 years old. I work full-time and am getting my masters degree part-time at night. I have not yet gotten in any real trouble because of my drinking, but I consistently find myself anxious the next few days if I black out (which could partially be because of the Prozac that I am on for OCD) and I no longer feel that the “benefit” that I get from drinking is worth the costs. My counselor has been a great help and I’ve read books regarding quitting drinking. Everything makes so much sense to the logical part of my brain that wants to quit drinking but that’s why I’m so frustrated: I keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

I’ve tried to go a month without drinking before by using willpower before and failed miserably. Alcohol became even more desirable since I was trying so hard not to have it! But at the same time…I felt great physically, mentally, emotionally. I have a great support system. I’ve distanced myself from my drinking buddies and don’t go out to bars much at all anymore. Since this is the first time I’m really going to try for sobriety, the friends that I do go out with will understand that I won’t want to go out anywhere that serves alcohol for a while.

One of my favorite aspects of group therapy was to be able to try to help others, which is one reason why I’m looking forward to being a part of this forum. I also plan on starting a blog to track my progress and see patterns in my problem days.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to getting to know you!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to the Forum, you'll find loads of support here on SR, the community is fantastic, we're all striving for the same thing!!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You made a great first step by coming here.
Most of us can't take a single drink.
Cutting back, there is no such thing
for an alcoholic.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 05-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you've joined us. There's a lot of support here to help you stay sober.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think most of us have tried moderating and found it frustratingly impossible.

Stopping drinking is really much easier than trying to control it.

It sounds like you're willing to make changes in your life which is so important in early recovery.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, everyone!!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey!