Notices

AA meetings

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings

Anyone work the steps and was it helpful to go to meetings? Im going.to my first thursday and every monday and thursday after and just curious
Old 05-13-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Christimc!

I go to meetings, have a sponsor, and work the steps. That and SoberRecovery keeps me happy and sober!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Never had a sponsor or worked the steps, but I find meetings generally helpful. There are all different kinds of meetings, though, with all different kinds of people. You should try at least a few different ones (if they are available in your area) to see which you like the best.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My town is so small like 4000people so only one meetinghere but i could try a bigger town its like a 30 min drive for me
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The place I live is about the same size, but it's an island so I can't drive to another meeting. Fortunately, I like my local group--we even have one meeting a week for agnostics. There is a lot to be said for getting help within your own community.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
My town is so small like 4000people so only one meetinghere but i could try a bigger town its like a 30 min drive for me
Many people drive 30 minutes or even much more just to get back and forth to work each and every day. If you feel other meetings would help ( and have the ability to make the drive ) by all means give it a try.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been to AA meetings recently
and these meetings have helped
thousands of alcoholics maintain their
sobriety. I know that I feel much
better after the meeting. The only
problem I had, the meetings that I
went to, didn't have a coffee pot.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have such mixed feelings about AA. On the one hand their approach is looking increasingly out-dated and closed minded and on the other it is for many (including myself) the only local source of group support. I would not want to put any one off though because I have seen many people for whom AA has been a life saver.

Here in the UK meetings seem to be increasingly secular in their style and mode, which suits me just fine and so I go, listen to the bits that make sense, chat to people and share experiences and I have found that really helpful.

I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago and in part at the time blamed the fact that AA seems to demand a particular approach. I was wrong to try to put any of the responsibility onto anyone other than myself though. To some extent, depending on where you live, AA is what you make it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
I have such mixed feelings about AA. On the one hand their approach is looking increasingly out-dated and closed minded
I'll agree that the literature is outdated, but the program is timeless. If anyone has a problem with the literature, I recommend NA meetings, where the literature is updated and more politically correct. Alcohol is considered to be an addictive drug. Also, the stories drug addicts tell have a "scared straight" quality. I love my local NA meeting, called "The Sea of Serenity."
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

I attend meetings,have a sponsor,sponsor others and work the steps.

Going to AA and not getting a sponsor and working the steps is like going to school and not listening to the teacher.I have also heard if I look in the mirror and see my sponsor I am looking at a fool.

AA has no need to change,Alcoholism is the same as it has always been.The programme has worked for millions of people.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Going to AA and not getting a sponsor and working the steps is like going to school and not listening to the teacher.
Many people share this opinion. I am not one of them.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The place I live is about the same size, but it's an island so I can't drive to another meeting. Fortunately, I like my local group--we even have one meeting a week for agnostics. There is a lot to be said for getting help within your own community.
I wish my town had atheist meetings !
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my 1st meeting was 4/23/05, which is my DOS. I have worked the steps, practice the principles, and still go to meetings.
I haven't drank or drugged since 4/23/05. I am not the same man I was when I was drinkin/drugging. id have to say yes, it has been helpful.
the material may be outdated(which I don't believe), but it worked, and continues to work, for me.
added benefit is the true friends I have made in AA.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some stories in the great blue book
are almost 100 years old, but it still
applies today. Alcoholic behavior
and the anguish that alcohol
causes has never changed.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

those steps saved my life, as brought to me by my sponsor, also a life saver.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I work the Steps, attend an occasional online meeting, and go to an occasional continuing care group meeting face to face, I do not have a sponsor and do not attend regular AA meetings at this time. I'm using Stephanie Covington's book and workbook to work through the Steps. I love it. Would really like to find a sponsor who is either secular or respects a secular interpretation of the Steps.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes i worked the steps with a sponsor 5 years ago and recovered (wow thats amazing when i think about it:-))

Recovered means that alcohol does not figure in your life and you live life as a normal non-drinker.

Alternatively i know people in AA who dont drink and just go to meetings, a very small percentage of them manage it by using various techniques from imagining that alcohol is poison and every bottle has a skull and cross bones on it to never going anywhere that serves or might have alcohol. Having met a few of these people in early sobriety the choice to work the steps for me was as much if a chouce as i had to drink or not drink when i was active.

Don't worry about the agnostic/athiest thing, speak to enough people in the rooms and you will soon find that their version if God is a spiritual and not religious ideal, if that bothers you personally i was so screwed when i walked in i would have believed in the easter bunny if it meant having half a shot at a normal life!