Notices

Wine tasting party

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Carlotta, that's a good thought. I'm sure management thinks they are being magnificent and generous including this module so I don't want to fuss. I have a good professional reputation and get along well with most everyone.

see? Everything does happen for a reason! I was going to sit on this for my usual three days but thanks to Patricia (and apologies for hijacking your thread) I think we all got a lot out of this. Thanks for all the advice, support and suggestions.

love from Lenina
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

White Lies

Glad I skipped a lot of this malarkey by Retiring at 48 from the High Tech World. I would not have coped well with some of these situations. Didn't have as many coping tricks in my Bag way back then.

A few ideas...

1. I just bought some 'Sparkling Grape Juice' to drink while Da Wife drinks Champagne for a Birthday Celebration. Fine by me. Actually, the smell of Champagne and Red Wine now smacks me upside the Head. Really strong, and no attraction after >4 months now on the Lifetime Wagon.

2. Keeping my Mobile in my Pocket [or in Belt Clip], I've been known to fake a lil twitch and pretend I just got an important Call while my Mobile was on 'Vibrate'. I 'read' the important fake Message and recite a fake reason to leave; one that I've rehearsed in advance. We used to have Rental Properties, and some faked issue with one of those was always a rehearsed option. Both my Parents [and ILs] were in a Nursing Home, so a faked issue to do with them was another handy excuse.

3. If you can, attend for ~1/2 hour and then hit the Road using any excuse provided above. A Promotion is not worth compromised Sobriety, but perhaps there's a 'Win - Win' solution possible. The operative word is 'if'.

In an ideal World, these Folks need to get with the Program and expand the Drink and attendance options offered you into this Century.

I continue to decline Wine Tastings and Dinners at local Wineries. This caused some Marital 'blips' at first, and caused me to pull out of a 4-some where my Wife's good Gal Pal and Hub make their own decent Wine. She's a binge_ing Wino and Pot Smoker who offered to not open the Wine when I'm around. Yah, like that solves anything. It's all polite Social Fraud to then pretend to have 'clearance' to invite my Wife to some Bender w/o me. After one such dreadful Dinner ~1 month into Sobriety where this Host Gal was smashed, this part-Scottish Mule dug in his Hooves and refused any more such 'Socializing' until a much later time [if ever]. Just stick Bamboo Shoots under my Fingernails instead. That would have been more fun.

I guess we sometimes have to send Employers and our Social Network clear messages about who we now are.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I been out of the work force for some years- but what the heck happened??

I was never forced to drink- I done just about every type of work.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're not hijacking Lenina! It's all about good advice on social situations! I'm actually learning a lot from this thread! Thank you!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anykey View Post

I think it depends on the industry. The one I'm in has always been full of heavy drinkers. I heard a coworker say last week 'eating dinner is a waste of calories, let's go straight to the bar.' red flag.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My apologies for hijacking as well, just sharing some of my experiences in similar situations. I'm fighting the fight at these types of gatherings. My advice is avoid them as much as possible.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anykey View Post

I'm in the "Stay at home mom" industry...and it seems like all the social gatherings involve drinking nowadays. I went to pick up my son from a play date at 2pm and the other mom offered me Bayleys for my coffee...I couldn't get out of her house fast enough!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Tang, I learned from you, thank you! I learned over the years to just go as politically the least amount I can. it really doesn't bother me, I didn't drink much in public. but I don't want to be around drunk folks. And yes, even though they can't force you to drink, they can submarine you. So we do need coping strategies.

Business has been alcohol drenched in the past.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow, I can't believe so many industries/employers would frown on anyone who does not drink, for what ever reason!
To me, I think we are all ahead of the game, sober is the new sexy, we are the cool ones!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If I still had my license I would use that I'm the "DD"... And I will use that excuse when I get my license back...
Hmmm until then, I'm gonna Google "Alcohol Allergy" and see how legit that is.
Pretty ridiculous how we have to think up so many excuses to try to avoid judgement from others....
People should just mind their own business.. BUT , since we care what people think, we look for reasons to try to maintain the illusion of "normalcy"
Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

it really doesn't bother me, I didn't drink much in public. but I don't want to be around drunk folks.
That's exactly me Lenina. I have no problem having lunch or diner with a friend who has a glass of wine or a beer. I have mercifully no desire or cravings. On another hand, drunken fools have always annoyed me this is why I never drank in bars.
I drank alone and never drank much in public so people really don t know me as a drinker and I did not have to worry about expectations or having to tell people that I am sober now since I would often abstain (what they did not know was that I could not wait to be back home to start slamming them LOL).
Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hmmmm, how would I decline a wine tasting party? The same way I would decline an extreme couponing party, a polite "no thanks". If something is not my cup o' tea for whatever reason, I don't do it.

Leshar is right...sober is def the new sexy. I laugh when people say "OMG you look so young!" It's because I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs. I eat right and I run 4+ times a week, do yoga, and bellydance. I'm in my late 40s and my boyfriend is in his late 20s. How's that for a return on my investment? lol

Activities where drinking IS the activity...are not actually activities. They are excuses to drink and usually a fair amount. Looking old, having a weird color, raspy voice, and dry hair, laughing at sh*t that's not funny, babbling, sucking in smoke and drinking poison is not my idea of a good time anymore. I don't care how "highbrow" the event is...it's still an event focused on drinking. So, basically, lipstick on a pig.

Don't get me wrong. I can gracefully hang at such an event. I don't know a stranger and drunks love me! But because I can, why would I? Life is short. I don't waste any time.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow. I didn't know ducks were forbidden to drink alcohol
Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
Wow. I didn't know ducks were forbidden to drink alcohol
When they do, it gets them quacking: just ask them on the friends and family forum
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ha ha!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh dear. A wine tasting party was the reason for one very awful slip of mine that kept me drinking for another two years. A friendly, non chalant, tastefully simple party combined with a bring a bottle for all of us to taste thing.

Harmless ? Hardly.

Don't do it.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

great choice Patricia

And, tho all the good advice got doled out already, I'm glad this thread helped, Lenina

D