Notices

I told my parents

Old 05-11-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I told my parents

Last night I called my mother from the hospital, where I was having my vitals taken for withdrawal symptoms. I talked briefly with a psychiatrist. They prescribed me with one pill to quiet my anxiety and gave me information on how to get support to quit.

Talking to my mother on the phone and then my father the next morning, I haven't cried that much in years. They fully support me, and said nothing negative or hurtful, like I was afraid that would happen. My roommates and their girlfriends (all four of them) came to pick me up from the hospital and took me home. The nerves are all but gone now, but I'm still very afraid of the temptation coming back. My roommates both drink a heavy amount, and will continue to do so. I've told them that they have to keep all of their booze in their rooms now, but that still means there will be booze in the house.

Has anyone had experience with how to stay sober when everyone around you drinks?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's a little harder to stay sober when you're surrounded by drinkers, but it's still possible if you want it bad enough.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you stay with family or your parents for a short while?
That might be a good idea in the early stages
Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey upsides,

Good for you! Seriously, this is SO good for you. Even though it feels like so many things, lousy, included.

If you are in school right now and over the summer, I would suggest getting in touch with campus health. Gather every single resource you can right now. They should have really great local resources, suggestions, support. Write all of your contact info down on one single page and keep it with you all the time.

Look for a student sobriety group on campus. This will help with branching your overall support system.

You are a writer...so write a lot.

About the roommates: good start. Can you ask them to keep all gatherings/celebrations involving alcohol elsewhere for a while while you gather your support system?

Do you have a follow-up from the ER appt. scheduled with your primary doc?

The above is not meant to be medical advice. Just an initial response to your question "Has anyone had experience with how to stay sober when everyone around you drinks?"...seek out and accumulate every resource available to you.

Do not stop looking for support and do not become complacent. If you know who you can turn to at any given moment then it helps take care of a large portion of fear in my experience.

This forum is an amazing support!! Keep writing and posting
Old 05-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nail it now and the life infront of you will be so much more colourful and fulfilling .
Good luck.
I wish I had had the courage you have at the same time in my life!
John.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here upsides.

I had to change my life pretty much - if you can't do that completely, at least look at what you can change.

If some of the choices are hard, make your priority your recovery. You'll look back and you won't be sorry

D
Old 05-11-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have your parents' support and hopefully you can escape to your room if others are drinking.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

appreciate all the advice, guys! thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is so very important that you find a different place to live.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck. It will be extremely difficult when everyone else is a hammered.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my lease is up in August and I'm leaving this city, so that'll be good for me I think. as far as living with my parents, they're in a different city than my job so that is not an option.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If your roommates are truly friends, they will support you, which it sounds like they do. Take this as sign to change your life. I started drinking in college, and became a professional. I've been hooked ever since, and after 30 years of it, I'm done. Mornings are much clearer now. Day 6 tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up Hey upsides...

How is your day going?? Lean on the wise folks here...they are more than happy to be a support.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree that getting away from the situation/booze at home is best. However, the mind is a powerful thing, stronger than we could ever imagine. I'm in month 6, and my wife still drinks rather heavily. There's wine at my house every night. There's been times when I've got up for a drink of water in the middle of the night and found a half empty bottle of wine on the counter. No one would know. I could slam it. But I have made the conscious decision beforehand that booze of any kind is no longer something that I put into my body. Period. Done. F-you wine, get outta my face. I do a lot of work to enforce the mentality that booze just no longer applies to me. It is death. I you must stay put till you move out, you CAN stay sober if you really want to.
Best,
-Malcolm
Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by malcolmsloan View Post
There's wine at my house every night. There's been times when I've got up for a drink of water in the middle of the night and found a half empty bottle of wine on the counter. No one would know. I could slam it. But I have made the conscious decision beforehand that booze of any kind is no longer something that I put into my body. Period. Done. F-you wine, get outta my face.
Malcolm - excellent insight and advice. I'm Day 13 with a similar situation and I am finding this to be infinitely harder than I anticipated. It's one thing to successful say 'no thanks' repeatedly within 15 minutes at the neighborhood barbecue yesterday and totally another to come home and have to say 'no' all night long. WHILE trying to write and work. Ugh.