Notices

Moving on!! Day 9 was a toughy so far!!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving on!! Day 9 was a toughy so far!!

I'd really like to thank this site for finding me!!
I typed in day 3 sober into google and the first result was a post from this site. Also like to thank the people from the "friend" thread and all the people that commented on my threads on my way to day 9!! This site has changed my life!!

It's only day nine and by no means am I out if the woods or believe that I am!!

This morning I went golfing with my brother, this was tough!!
There hasn't been a round of golf in the past 15 years that I haven't smoked cigarettes and drank all day and then the night after. So maybe not the best idea
But I can't hide away in the house for the rest of my life!!

As I think back now, I really don't remember the round and not because of the normal reasons!! After hole 2 the VOICE started and not just AV , but the have a cigarette one as well and if I start doing one the other isn't far behind .... That battle was won on hole 6 after the voice gave into my own inner voice trying to plan a thread for after I had done the seeming lm impossible a round of golf without drink or smoke!! Hole 7 more of the same thinking about what I'm talking about right now as my brother smoked away on hole 12 if there was any feeling of want for a drink or a cigarette had completely gone and a smile crept along my face as I realized that me not wanting to let myself down and also not let this site down, affirmed what I believe ... All of you wonderful people on here that ive never met before in my life.. And only just recently joined formed a AV SV BATTLE GROUND where I know I will always win if I choose to put what I've read on here in practice and hold myself accountable aswell as believing I at least owe you guys ( might sound funny ) my best effort to stay sober and continue along this path!!

I know it will get easier and I will one day enjoy a round of golf without either of those insane voices... But for now, somehow this site is holding me accountable and I love it.

The fact I didn't drink today , because I REALLY didn't wAnt to have to post that I went out on day 9 !! Is truly a gift.... You guys have givin me !! It's a great tool to have in the arsenal against this stupid addiction!! I know I will get there but for now me thinking about this site and the people on it holding me accountable to myself is awesome!!

Thank you
day ten is 11 hours away
And I can't wait to crush him!!

Enjoy your Sunday

Side note*

Anyone here think trying non alcoholic beverages is worth the risk of getting that taste of beer or what ever back in your throat, worth it. Just curious if it's helped or hindered anyone!!

Thanks for listening
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's great. You do find out eventually that the things you like to do can be done without drinking and you still can like them. Welcome to that journey.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Skotyb - you're doing great.

I remember feeling so strange those first few weeks. It was like someone had unplugged me. I had used alcohol to make things more 'fun' for decades - it felt so odd to be out in the world with no buffer. Of course it's sad I ever needed the buffer in the first place, and now I'd never go back to living in a fog.

Look out Day 10 - you are toast.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congratulations on reaching double figures - sounds like you're doing really well and I love the way you seem to have your AV exactly where you want him

Thank you, too, for your posts. As much as you've been helped, you will have helped many others ♥♥♥
Old 05-11-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending out a big welcome and a congrats on day 9! We are all in the learning process of working through those activities we love to do without alcohol. This is my first weekend in years without a drink and I'm on day 7. So far im doing better than I expected. I feel so good I don't want to go back. I'm charging head first and facing those activities I love without alcohol. It really is so much easier. I don't get angry, I have more patients it seems. The "voice" is not there every other hour anymore. Still there but we are gaining headway.

Don't stop....your doing great!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skotyb View Post
I'd really like to thank this site for finding me!!
LOL, a lot of us have been in that position and been grateful to be found.

I'm glad you're doing well and that golfing was okay. For me, that would have been too triggering to get through that early in recovery.

As for non-alcoholic drinks, it's a common topic here and the consensus is generally that it too reminiscent of drinking. I got rid of my wine glasses and all that kind of stuff. I don't want to go through the process of opening a bottle again. And, there is alcohol in non-alcoholic beverages too.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad I was found too.

Like Anna NA drinks remind me too much of the real thing...I get right back into old behaviours.

When I used to drink NA beer (one of my failed attempts before I quit for good)
I always ended up wanting, and getting, the real thing.

D
Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 9 days sober!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats skotyb, the first few weeks are going to be tough. just keep hanging in there.

A month ago I played my first round with the same - let's drink all day crowd. I actually found a leftover empty in my golf bag from last year. Just make sure the people you golf with understand what you are going through. My people know and nobody else drank just for me. Friends will do that for you.

NA beer - not worth it. It's horrible in the first place and it is too risky. Get yourself a case of vitamin water. Pack a couple in your golf bag.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Skotyb,

I re-acquainted myself with golf when I got sober, and found it to be a great way to get exercise (carrying the bag, no cart) and de-stress. I managed to get down to a nine handicap, and golf became a sort of walking meditation. I have since regained full time employment and don't play all that much or well, but it's funny how something that I once viewed as a trigger is now a source of sober enjoyment.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Every day is a milestone.
I know where you are coming
from. I have had to force myself
re-emerge with the real world
and It is difficult.