Notices

Making it through Mother's Day

Old 05-10-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making it through Mother's Day

Hello-
Today marks 8 months sober for me and with that I'm truly grateful. Through the help of AA and my higher power I am alive. This will be my first mother's day sober. My mother passed of cancer when I was very young, and every year since then on that day was very hard and I seemed to want to drown myself in even more alcohol than usual. Although I am in a spiritually fit place and have not the desire or obsession, there in lies the feelings and emotions and dealing with them and wanting to change the way I feel. I attended a meeting tonight and plan on one tomm. My delimma at the present moment is that none of my fellowship of women can relate to this issue and my sponsor seems to be busy at the moment, so I thought maybe someone on here could share their experience, strength, and hope. So very grateful for this site and that I have a solution- today. God bless.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe think about you being sober on Mother's Day as a great way to honour your moms memory?

There will be people around here, so post as much as you need to DancingbtRealms

D
Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sure your Mom is very proud of the new course you have taken in you're life. I agree with Dee74. Post tomorrow. Its the first Mother's Day sober for a lot of us and it will be hard.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't use it as an excuse. I am sure it probably served as a good excuse in the past. That thinking will have to change. Today is just another day like any other and we don't pick up no matter what. It is just 24 hours.

How about you start a new tradition, go to her gravesite and release some pink balloons with a message attached. Tell her how you miss her and feel about her. It will be quite freeing.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dancing. Firstly, I'm sorry you lost your Mum so young. That would be very hard to deal with.

As alcoholics, we often look for reasons, good or bad to drink. Any anniversary, or bad day, even more so. But is that the real you, now you are sober?

Anniversaries of someone's death are sad, but it is the day they died. Like Deeker said, maybe there is a way you can honour your Mum each year by doing something she loved? Turn it into a positive memory, and that she'd be so proud her daughter does something meaningful on that day and her life wasn't in vain.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got sober about 3 years before my Mother passed away. She said it was the best gift I ever gave her!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congrats on 8 months sober-you are doing awesome!!

I just lost my mom two weeks ago and obviously tomorrow is going to be a tough one. I'm choosing to remember good memories and celebrate Mom by planting some flowers in her honor and looking at old pics, etc. Now that we're sober we can actually feel which can be painful, but it's so much better than numbing everything.

You are not alone
Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FreeFall I hope the day goes well for you, how lovely to plant some flowers for your Mom. I'll be thinking of you DancingbtRelams.