Notices

..and again.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Mentium. Glad to see you back, and trying again.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

AA meeting tonight and I feel all the better for it. I don't know why I should still be surprised by it, but the character of the meetings can be so different from one to the next. Tonight's was light on the spiritual, heavy on the practical and insistent on the basics - just what I needed!

One of the members quoted an old member from the west of Ireland who used to say 'The thing is not to take a drink even if yer arse is on fire'! It made me laugh out loud - I could just hear it said in that wonderful west Ireland accent.

Anyway AA has to be part of the mix for me it seems! So be it.

Day three here and feeling a bit sweaty and withdrawally. It will pass...
Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Day three is great, Mentium - and good to hear you sounding so determined and upbeat
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Thanks once more to those who have responded. Croissant - read some reviews of The Heart of Addiction and found it in download format. Just read the first few pages. Looks interesting.
Yeah, depends where you are at. Some books I read in early sobriety are different to the ones I read now.

Yesterday I had a real insight into how alcohol has become my enemy and is in no way a 'friend'. I have been drinking for about six weeks after a six month period sober.
Mentium, I understand you've been sober a lot of the past few months from August to Christmas last year, then slipped at Christmas. But you were also secretly drinking Vodka after your wife was going to bed earlier this year in January and also you posted problems in February and now you say it's progressed to regularly drinking a bottle and a half of wine (daily?) for the past 6 weeks.

Mate, I really respect you coming back and wanting a new way to deal with this, but you have to start being honest with yourself. You've really been trying to moderate since Christmas last year.

I'm not saying any of this to "out" you, I just think if you don't address why those episodes have happened (and I've had my own!), you are lying to yourself.

Hope you understand where I'm coming from, but the last 6 months have not been sober ones.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Why didn't you work the solution if AA? Who told you that going to meetings and repeating some slogans would keep you sober or did you ignore the steps and suggestions? Why go I don't get it, it's like turning up at tennis lessons sitting on the bench and then after 6 months saying you learned no tennis and tennis is crap?!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great to see you back.
Know what you mean about AA.
I had years of questioning it, loving it, loathing it and so on...
Then i figured.
When i go to AA and follow the suggestions of sober people i don't drink.
Left to my own devices and gargantuan intellect i end up bladdered.
In the end it was a no brainer for me.
Debate over, i go because it helps me stay well.
That's how simple it has become.
G
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Yeah, depends where you are at. Some books I read in early sobriety are different to the ones I read now.

Mentium, I understand you've been sober a lot of the past few months from August to Christmas last year, then slipped at Christmas. But you were also secretly drinking Vodka after your wife was going to bed earlier this year in January and also you posted problems in February and now you say it's progressed to regularly drinking a bottle and a half of wine (daily?) for the past 6 weeks.

Mate, I really respect you coming back and wanting a new way to deal with this, but you have to start being honest with yourself. You've really been trying to moderate since Christmas last year.

I'm not saying any of this to "out" you, I just think if you don't address why those episodes have happened (and I've had my own!), you are lying to yourself.

Hope you understand where I'm coming from, but the last 6 months have not been sober ones.
I would not call that an attempt to moderate at all, but a struggle to quit. I abstained from late September to March with a few days slip over Christmas. I started drinking in my old pattern in March. I know you are suggesting I am not being honest with myself, but that is how I see it. I'm here now and not drinking and I want to keep it that way. What more can I say? I don't want to moderate because I know I can't. I seem to have a mental valve which says I either drink as much as my addiction wants me to or I am quitting for keeps.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I would not call that an attempt to moderate at all, but a struggle to quit. I abstained from late September to March with a few days slip over Christmas. I started drinking in my old pattern in March. I know you are suggesting I am not being honest with myself, but that is how I see it. I'm here now and not drinking and I want to keep it that way. What more can I say? I don't want to moderate because I know I can't. I seem to have a mental valve which says I either drink as much as my addiction wants me to or I am quitting for keeps.

Coming here and being deceptive is again not facing the reality of how this addiction affects you.

Mate, you might think I'm being harsh, but you've avoided self examination, you didn't want to do the steps and now you're pissed because I've said you've been deceptive here about your recent drinking episodes.

My point is as I said, not to "out" you, but if you continue to deceive yourself, and others, either at home or here - it's really you who loses. Unless you address that part of us that lies and wants to hide the real truth of the extent of our alcoholism, then the pattern will repeat itself.

I have been drinking for about six weeks after a six month period sober. I started in part because I found AA impossible.

This is part of your first post in this thread where you clearly state 6 months sober and that AA is impossible.

The below post is 18 February this year. Minimising a few stiff vodkas before bed.

So I have been drinking again. Not a huge amount by any stretch, starting late at night, a few stiff Vodka and whatavers and then to bed before I could do more damage. A bit of me wondered if that was sustainable, but it isn't - I know that.

Been going to AA, though less often, and not speaking. It has been pretty miserable, especially knowing I can do this - almost three months before Christmas sober and a month since.

Anyway I'm back here on day one feeling very pissed off with myself.
And below, 31 January at least 2 weeks of Vodka...and admit you are being deceptive at meetings, attending them, then drinking after your partner goes to bed.

Hello all, This last month has been weird to say the least. I have been attending AA meetings and actually getting a lot out of them, but for about two weeks now when I got home in the evening and after my partner has gone to bed I have been drinking. I have typically had the equivalent of about 1/4 to a 1/3 of a bottle of vodka, 'mellowed' out and home to bed.

Although this is by most norms excessive drinking of course it is far less than I used to when in full flow and in actual fact if I could drink at this level and actually feel comfortable with myself I might even consider this as a means of coping and 'moderating' long term. However I am not comfortable with this of course. I am deceiving my partner, being less than honest at AA meetings (not that I have lied there) and most importantly I am deceiving myself. I mean wft am I doing??

I had a decent period of sobriety between late August and Christmas last year, had a lapse over Christmas and now this. The 'lapses' have not led to heavy duty drinking but I really just don't want to do life like this. So last night was the last of my late night ventures!

Although I have been going to AA I have not as yet seriously started to work on the Steps. I suspect that unless I tackle some of the things that make drinking a attractive option in some ways for me, via the therapeutic elements of the Steps I am going to continue going round and round.

So that is my next challenge!
None of the above is telling a good clean 6 months sober. It's saying you've been deceiving yourself and your AA group and your partner at various times since Christmas.

Coming here and being deceptive is again not facing the reality of how this addiction affects you.