Notices

A little apprehensive about the evening

Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little apprehensive about the evening

Tonight will be the first time in 10 weeks of sobriety that I'm consciously heading into the first situation that used to be assured to be a hang over inducing night. It's a dinner invite to another couple's home. They are good friends and overall wonderful people who have been very good to us. Evenings in the past with them carry good memories of cocktails to start and then a great dinner with hours of conversation and lots of wine.

I'm not worried about drinking because my commitment to sobriety feels grounded and solid as I think of the evening ahead. The part I'm a little apprehensive about is just experiencing the new dynamic with me being sober. Given our history and how they know I love booze it is completely expected and understandable that there may be friendly inquiry as to what's going on. Given the nature of our relationship it's best for me to be diplomatically honest instead of using a random excuse.

Now that I think about it, I'm not worried about their reaction. I think if I'm really honest maybe I've left a little bit of a door open that maybe I can drink again in the future, and this will be one of the first times that I will be making a public statement of accountability to someone outside of my family (non-drinkers) and co-workers (not a big deal) - sort of a "coming out" as a non-drinker in my social circle. Yikes - but I think I will probably feel empowered after it is done for the first time.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
Tonight will be the first time in 10 weeks of sobriety that I'm consciously heading into the first situation that used to be assured to be a hang over inducing night. It's a dinner invite to another couple's home. They are good friends and overall wonderful people who have been very good to us. Evenings in the past with them carry good memories of cocktails to start and then a great dinner with hours of conversation and lots of wine.

I'm not worried about drinking because my commitment to sobriety feels grounded and solid as I think of the evening ahead. The part I'm a little apprehensive about is just experiencing the new dynamic with me being sober. Given our history and how they know I love booze it is completely expected and understandable that there may be friendly inquiry as to what's going on. Given the nature of our relationship it's best for me to be diplomatically honest instead of using a random excuse.

Now that I think about it, I'm not worried about their reaction. I think if I'm really honest maybe I've left a little bit of a door open that maybe I can drink again in the future, and this will be one of the first times that I will be making a public statement of accountability to someone outside of my family (non-drinkers) and co-workers (not a big deal) - sort of a "coming out" as a non-drinker in my social circle. Yikes - but I think I will probably feel empowered after it is done for the first time.

Thanks for listening.
I have seen many posts similar to your situation regarding the first time around alcohol etc, I have found that if you tell people the reason behind your not drinking you tend to find they have a healthy respect for the decision taken, there are some people who are now aware of my abstinence and really respect it.
I hope you have a nice evening.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a similar situation when I was at 6 months of sobriety. The couple are our best friends and we have only been able to see them once a year for the past 15 years.

I was also committed to my sobriety, so I simply told them I am an alcoholic and I no longer drink. It was that easy! They both said they were proud of me and that was it.

We all enjoyed a great time together and the only difference was that I remember EVERYTHING and they don't!

Have a wonderful time with your friends.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, you will feel empowered and encouraged Lance - as you get over this hurdle.

This is one of the things that kept me from getting sober many years ago. I couldn't imagine a life without alcohol, so I just continued trying to control it - with disastrous results. I foolishly thought nothing would ever be fun again, that I'd be boring, or feel awkward. At first I was a bit resentful - but I got over it. Enjoying life in a different way is a bit challenging early on. I predict it will go very well and that you'll feel triumphant at the end of the evening.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Enjoy your evening out.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

enjoy yourself Lance - no worries here.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you'll do just fine. And this way if they need someone to drive someplace in an emergency, you're the guy. Bask in the warm glow of utility!

Wow my post count .. should have changed my avatar to a goat's head
Old 05-09-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AlmA

Lance you are very Brave...
I take my hat to you!!!

Love your determination and that will get you through!
You are learning to handle situations and enjoy a sober life!
Have a nice time!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"maybe I've left a little bit of a door open
that maybe I can drink again in the future"

For me, there can be no reservations that
maybe I can drink successfully again in the future.
Those kinds of thoughts will always be dangerous
for me and have no place in my recovery program.

I protect my healthy investment in recovery
hopefully to carry me for many more one days
at a time sober for yrs to come.

You can too.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all the kind words of support and encouragement.

The evening went really well. Within the first five minutes of arriving when asked what we wanted to drink I just launched forward with, "Actually I gave up alcohol for Lent and haven't picked it back up, so do you have fruit juice or pop?" I got a surprised look (the good kind) and a "Good for you!" and we went on to have a great evening.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it all went well Lance. I think most of us build up those first sober outings in some really big - and they really not.

Who knew being social was not really about drinking at all?

D
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

Lance,

That's great! I am working on 5 months next Friday. I've been out several times with my wife and every time it gets easier.

Sleep well.

TC