Notices

Happy Friday!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Happy Friday!

Hello SR friends... I am new here, this is my first post. After many, MANY, false starts, I'm hoping/planning to make today a new beginning. I'm trying to embrace sobriety realizing that I can't be on this roller coaster anymore. I think it's best to just NOT drink rather than what I've been doing. Drinking, not drinking, drinking, not drinking. I'm constantly torn and thinking about it all the time. I think if I just say no, I'm not drinking and I'm not changing my mind, it will be a great relief (eventually). Also I'm sick of sneaking around and hiding it and wasting precious time I could be doing something else.

So my plan of attack is to try and post here as much as possible, go to some AA meetings (even tho I don't buy into all of the AA ideas), and I've found that the meetings on intherooms.com are also very helpful.

Thanks. I wish you all a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all of you mommies.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR ElleDee.Glad you are here.

Stay away from the first drink.Going to AA is a great idea,it dosen't matter whether you agree with everything or not.It has worked for me for nearly 11 years.

Wishing you well.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Welcome ElleDee! I too go to AA as well as use SR, and I'm slowly getting better with the AA principles but haven't bought in to all of it just yet... the 24 hour club here helps me start my day off right!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Thanks for the love and support. I'm hoping / praying / trying to do the right things to make it stick this time. Eventually it has to stick, right?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it will stick one day at a time. I try to focus on all the benefits of not drinking. ...like waking up everyday feeling good! Otherwise it's easy to slip into the missing it mentality. There is one guarantee-it gets better!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While the drinking is fresh in your mind, write down all your bad experiences with drinking. Don't hold back, get it down on paper. It will be a stark reminder of what you have to look forward to if you do drink again.

Like they say in AA, go to a few meetings. If you find it isn't for you, AA will be happy to refund your misery.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ElleDee

D
Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been doing the same thing as you for years.

I quit again Monday (Tuesday was Day 1).

Went to an AA meeting today because I felt like I wasn't going to get it done on my own.

Sure was nice to sit around with a bunch of people who had the same exact experiences with alcohol as I did.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcomen Elle Dee! Lots of support here.
While you are getting started also llook into some of the other recovery programs.

For a second I thought you were the Spanish Dee.

Oh, HAPPY FRIDAY to you too.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you ElleDee. SR saved me - I couldn't believe how many people felt just like I did. It meant so much to have a place to come to where I wasn't judged or lectured to. Glad to have you here.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Elledee,

...and you too, samuse !
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome ... and welcome to a sober Friday. I used to look forward to Friday because it was a chance to indulge in alcohol and drugs. Now I see it as an opportunity to exercise, relax, and to be alive. Thank you for the "Happy Friday" message. I hope you had a happy and safe Friday and that you'll have the same for Saturday.

Keep posting. Keep coming back. Take care and be well.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I sure do appreciate all the helpful advice. I'm so glad I'm here. It's a gorgeous day in my town today and I plan on getting out and taking a walk and spending the day doing things that I enjoy. I hope you all are having a great weekend so far.