Notices

Feeling awful :(

Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling awful :(

It's only been 4 days since quitting, and I never knew how bad I would feel, sick, shaky, sweats and very anxious. I managed to eat today, but I can't sleep. My liver aches so bad, I didn't probably notice before as the alcohol took the pain away. I know things will get easier, but as the worst of it goes, the craving is still so strong, I don't trust myself to shop even yet. Any advice on getting through this early stage appreciated xx
Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tikka, you are doing great. That first week can be a booger. Someone told me to treat myself like I had the flu. Eat right, drink lots of fluids, rest as much as you can and be kind to yourself. I took lots of long baths and I spent a lot of time here. The chat room here became my home for a while. You can do this. Hang in there, we are all here for you. I am proud of you, it is not always easy, but it is so rewarding. We have to take care of ourselves. You are in my prayers.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tikka

If you feel really bad, can you see a Dr?

For support, keep posting - check out our Class of May support thread too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-7.html
Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am hoping to avoid that as I am scared to lose my job, if it continues for a few more days, I may have to, as I took a week off. Fingers crossed, it gets better x
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Tikka I hope you're feeling better soon. You're doing a great thing.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It WILL get better Tikka. You are wonderful for being strong through this! You will be feeling better and better with each day. Food and sleep will be friendly again I, like you, didn't trust myself (and still don't at times) to be out and about in the community. Make your home like your nest so that it is a safe and alcohol free place for you to always return to whenever you need to.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Tikka, welcome to SR
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Tikka.

The first week is very rough, but, as it's been said before, it is getting better.

Take one day at a tine, one hour at a time, let you body recover.

Sending you positive vibes)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
It's only been 4 days since quitting, and I never knew how bad I would feel, sick, shaky, sweats and very anxious. I managed to eat today, but I can't sleep. My liver aches so bad, I didn't probably notice before as the alcohol took the pain away. I know things will get easier, but as the worst of it goes, the craving is still so strong, I don't trust myself to shop even yet. Any advice on getting through this early stage appreciated xx
Hi Tikka. Try some sugary snacks or fruit to keep your blood sugar up. That and try to stay positive, don't be too hard on yourself and help your addictive voice get its way.

If you can get through this this time, you'll hopefully never have to do it again
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Hi Tikka,seek medical advice if you don't start to feel better.

Drink plenty of water.

You will feel better and you need never go through this again.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't believe the difference from this morning, have eaten a nice meal, walked for two hrs, mostly in the rain, but I felt and smelt everything I had not noticed before, onwards and upwards, feeling positive, thanks for all comments. I think cos I believed what u all said, that it will get better, it made a big difference ! I know it won't be easy but I believe I will do it now x
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Be strong, drink plenty of water, eat healthy meals.
You will be sleeping better and feeling better as well.
However if your pains continue, perhaps you should see a Dr.
Give it time, and you will excel!
Keep visiting and posting here on SR.
Not only might it help your journey towards freedom, but you may unknowingly help someone else; perhaps someone who isn't a member, but would like to become one.
I joined only a week ago and I can testify that the support and information here is priceless.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Tikka...nice job working through this. I second all the posters good advice. Water and herbal teas helped me a lot. Now cold fizzy water tastes delicious.

I repeatedly cleaned the toilet in the early days, spit-shined as needed...staying busy and throwing my frustrations in there then flushing somehow felt cathartic. Highly recommend toilet cleaning therapy.

Keep posting and reading. The words are great here. Take care!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you posted Tikka - you are not alone - we all remember the early days & how miserable they were. I'm happy to see you felt better as time passed. One day this will be a dim memory, and you never have to go back there again.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Tikka View Post

Hi Tikka, I had all of these symptoms apart from the liver aches in the first week or so, it does pass pretty quick thankfully. All I can suggest is a good multi vitamin along with plenty water and lots of sleep although I had insomnia for the first couple of weeks. I did find fresh air and light exercise very helpful too.

Let us know how you are getting on,we are all rooting for you.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'd suggest resting when you can and eating good food. Treat yourself well during detox. It will take a while until you feel normal again but it's worth the wait.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

You're doing great and it will be so worth it!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Thought I would suggest something small, my psychiatrist told me to take thiamine vit b1 or get multi vit b tablets. It helps alcoholics as normaly we damage parts of our brain and nervous system.

good job on day 4 hun xx
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The only thing I've found that relieves the physical symptoms of detox, is time. Sometimes it takes days.

The good news is, once you get through this, you never have to do it again.

The bad news is, if you are an alcoholic like me, after a few weeks you start to feel great. And then you start thinking that maybe you aren't an alcoholic after all and that if you change things up somehow, you will figure out a way to drink in moderation.

For me, it never worked, although I did variations of the same experiment many, many times over the years.