SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hitting A Rough Patch!!(help) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/33149-hitting-rough-patch-help.html)

justine 07-04-2004 08:07 AM

Hitting A Rough Patch!!(help)

Hey Guys,
Not Doing So Well This Week.it Was Not A Week Ago I Last Posted I Was 14 Weeks In And Things Were Going Well!this Week Has Been A Different Story Though.
I Dont Know For Sure When It Started But Depression Really Set In And I Have Started To Wonder Why I Am Doing This.the Whole "normal" Thing Is Getting Me Down.like I Go To Work Everyday Come Home Go To Bed And Get Up To Do The Same Thing Tomorrow And It Is Really Starting To Get Me Down.i Am Trying To Rise Above It But Each Day Seems To Be Getting Harder And Harder To Get Through!!
My Old Thought Patterns Seem To Be Rearing Its Ugly Head Again And Now I Am Worried I May Not Be As Strong As I Thought.so Far I Have Fought The Urge & I Am Sure I Am Weakening.
Please Give Any Advice On How To Overcome This As I Need Any Advice You Have To Offer.
Thanx A Bunch.
Justine. :(

lizzy81001 07-04-2004 08:19 AM

hey justine,
the whole process of waking up and going thru the day and going to work, going to sleep, and going thru the motions again are normal. the problem is we don't know how to do normal. our bodies and minds are used to something different so it's a process of training ourselves to think differently. which is not necessarily easy. it's probably best to find something that you enjoy doing to begin to fill up some of your time. and sometimes the depression keeps up from doing something that could be good for us. excercise is great for the mind and body. getting active and physical get that seratonin going in your brain and lessen the effects of depression. mayby you could join a gym (if you think it would be something you like). if you are not ready for that, buy a workout video. start small and work your way up. working out in the comfort of your home may help more at first until you feel better and want to join a place where more people are bound to be. not sure if this helps. hope today is a good day for you.
love
audra

splendra 07-04-2004 08:39 AM

Justine-
It does sound like you need to add something to your daily routine to pep you up. Do you go to meetings? Or how about going to the library and doing some research on something you are interested in or would like to try doing. I bet you have some hidden talent that is calling out to you in the form of depression...
just a thought...

Rowan 07-04-2004 09:20 AM

Hi Justine
I have certainly gone through what you describe; the same old grind day in and day out, coupled with depression. I do believe it's normal, and that's hard for us to do, as recovering persons. Do you know why I think I get/got depressed? I was bored. Things were just too .. neutral. Maybe I needed a good dose of chaos, I don't know. What helps to fill my time today is meetings, and the fellowship with other alcoholics that comes with that. I try hard to get out of myself and to seek out the newcomer at meetings, in order to pass on my phone # and to give them hope. That helps too. If you are in AA, try to get active in service. That will open many doors for you, and the rewards are high. As Lizzy suggested, exercise is great for the mind/body.
I'm a big advocate of exercise myself, but I'm too depressed today to work out lol isn't that awful? Where did my motivation go? Anyway .. one thing for sure, this boredom .. this too shall pass. Keep coming back.
:veryhappy

KelKel 07-04-2004 11:15 AM

Justine

:hug:

Fresh air and some light excercise can do the mind wonders.

Anna 07-04-2004 01:35 PM

Hi Justine,

It sounds like you may be at a point where you see you've made a lot of progress, but now face a lifetime of this. Some people call it the pink cloud syndrome. You sail through the first months of sobriety and then wham, the reality of it really hits home. The main thing is to stick with it, stay in the moment and like the others said, vary your routine or try something new.

Love, Anna

junem 07-04-2004 01:39 PM

Getting and battling with the depression bug is hard. It often makes you question if the struggle is worth it. Staying in touch with supportive people and being honest about what I am feeling helps me through it. my prayers are with you.