Notices

terrible cravings

Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

terrible cravings

sitting here imagining myself pouring a beer, drinking it, then thinking about how i'll feel after a couple beers. i could literally feel the imaginative alcohol running through my body relaxing me..

i then proceeded to imagine this saturday, after i drop off my daughter, going to the store and picking up a 6 pack of budweiser and just casually drinking them. no harm right? (i have my daughter wednesday-saturdays)..

ugh, scary as hell..i have no idea how i would have controlled myself if i had this feeling come over me if it was on a saturday where i'd have no responsibility...
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just think how far you've come. Think how you'd feel the Sunday morning, you'd have to start on day 1 and it's not worth it. Being alcohol free will lead to better things. We all get these cravings but it's just the addiction trying to tempt us, remember how you felt after the last time you drank. You can do this Krete77.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still get these all the time!

Really ridiculous stuff such as 'If my wife left me and took our son, I could drink myself to death with moral impunity' or imagining our tiny son as an adult travelling miles to rescue me from a relapse in twenty years time!

I like to think that the fantasies have become more extreme and distant (as opposed to 'I could just nip out and get a bottle' type stuff) because - as time goes on - I am much more confident that drinking is behind me. I made it into a sort of game at first & found much joy in 'catching myself out'.

Sorry, waffling. My point; I reckon the thoughts don't stop, but that their power is greatly diminished over time.

Sounds like you are doing great to me!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
sitting here imagining myself pouring a beer, drinking it, then thinking about how i'll feel after a couple beers. i could literally feel the imaginative alcohol running through my body relaxing me..

i then proceeded to imagine this saturday, after i drop off my daughter, going to the store and picking up a 6 pack of budweiser and just casually drinking them. no harm right? (i have my daughter wednesday-saturdays)..
All of that sounds nice, but what about the next morning? How do you think you'll feel then? Maybe you could focus on that instead. Hang in there!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I assume you've tried the usual go to stuff like making sure you're not Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired, eating sweets, playing the tape through...

Have you tried urge surfing Krete?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D