SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 10, first major bump impending (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/331381-day-10-first-major-bump-impending.html)

Germany1 05-07-2014 04:45 PM

Day 10, first major bump impending

Okay so I'm on day 10 of no drinking. I've been really busy the past two weeks but am going home in a few days. I'll be chilling with my friends every night probably, seeing as how I don't see them very often. Problem is all we normally do is smoke weed and get drunk, and I haven't seen them since my current attempt at quitting alcohol. I still smoke weed, and honestly don't foresee that changing anytime soon, but I'm really trying to not cave on the drinking. Im not going to not see my friends (we go way back), and I'm not going to be the one to tell them they can't drink around me (I still don't know how I'm going to tell them I'm not drinking). At this point in my abstinence from alcohol, I feel like it's outside my system and I have control, but I'm still scared. I still crave the sensation of inebriation, and know that not drinking's going to be really tough. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about telling my one closest friend about my problem so he won't pressure me/so I'll have an immediate reason to stay sober. I guess I'm just nervous about this part. Anybody have any coping tools/something I can say to myself when socializing to help me not steer towards the beer?

Dee74 05-07-2014 04:51 PM

I think if I was still smoking weed, and I was around my weed smoking drinking friends the outcome would be pre-ordained Germany.

I remember one incident with me - I escaped clean and sober but just barely.

I'm sure my resolve would have weakened if I'd smoked as well.

After my close shave, I stayed away from situations like that for a while. I needed to build up my 'sobriety muscles' a little.

D

Anna 05-07-2014 05:02 PM

I think if you are determined to smoke weed and hang out with friends who are drinking, it's going to be really hard to stay sober. I couldn't have done it.

Mountainmanbob 05-07-2014 05:07 PM

Just for me
I think that it would be hard
to continually smoke pot
without mixing in a drink eventually
but
I do wish you luck with that

MM

Hevyn 05-07-2014 05:08 PM

Hi Germany. I have to agree with Dee, Anna & Bob. It's a huge challenge to put yourself through. Not that you have to avoid them forever, but maybe wait until you're stronger and more determined. I was very fragile in the early days - it's quite risky.

Oldselfagain 05-07-2014 05:10 PM

As they say without changing anything nothing changes. Doesn't sound like you're making any changes by continuing to get high with the same group of people. How serious are you about your sobriety?

Germany1 05-07-2014 06:37 PM

Oldselfagain, I'm really serious about quitting drinking. I truly wish alcohol would cease to exist. In terms of the weed, I probably should have mentioned that its been the only thing that's enabled me to go 10 days without alcohol. I know there's the whole substituting addictions thing, but I'm taking it one step at a time. I can also function when stoned, not when drunk/withdrawing so it's working at the moment. I'm just hesitant to go full shabang and give up both at once.
I'm also in college and around weed/alcohol all the time.I have to learn to be around it without going nuts. I haven't had much social pressure since I've been off the alcohol since it's been finals week, until now. I'm thinking I'm going to just try and be open with my friends and tell them I'm trying to quit drinking and that I can't be around them if they're doing that (which will still be plenty of time). Im pretty confident they'll be understanding.