Notices

A bit of an odd dilemma

Old 05-07-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit of an odd dilemma

Hello, I'm on day 10 and what is worrying me at the minute is that I have to go to Moscow for work on Friday for 5 weeks and I've been reading that it's considered rude to turn down vodka over there and I was just wondering if anyone has been there before? I'm probably just working myself up a bit and being a bit anxious but is it really a big deal over there when I turn down alcohol? Maybe I'll just try and say that I'm allergic or on medication or something, does anyone have any advice?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My advice is to say 'No, thanks'. There's no need to offer any explanation, especially one that isn't true.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just say you can't drink alcohol. It's true and sounds like you have an allergy.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok thanks I'll just say that, it's not like they can force it down me. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seanfox I've been to Moscow a few times. I've always just said I'm on medication and can't drink. That did the trick.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Seanfox View Post
Hello, I'm on day 10 and what is worrying me at the minute is that I have to go to Moscow for work on Friday for 5 weeks and I've been reading that it's considered rude to turn down vodka over there and I was just wondering if anyone has been there before? I'm probably just working myself up a bit and being a bit anxious but is it really a big deal over there when I turn down alcohol? Maybe I'll just try and say that I'm allergic or on medication or something, does anyone have any advice?
Remove "probably" from the bolded sentence above and you will have your answer ;-)

In reality, the only people who obsess about turning down drinks are alcohlics. Just say no thanks and you'll be fine.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You guys are right, I'm just worrying over nothing. If they make a big deal about me turning down a drink then that's their problem.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

My experience is with the Ukraine.

People generally bring out their very best food (meat), drink and crystal glasses in both small and large cities as if your presence is a national holiday.

Pouring bottled sparkling water into the crystal works really well as a show of solidarity to the group for celebrating the meal.

If you are with a large number of people, repeatedly toasting, then you will be very well hydrated

If totally backed in a corner (lots of aggressive drinkers) and you must stick around for work purposes: traveller's issues (diarrhea) is a readily accepted (&common=meat cured and not refrigerated) reason for not drinking, although many will try hard to convince you that vodka will improve the situation. Whisper 'diarrhea' in Russian and you will get smiles and slaps on the back.

Just keep raising the glass with sparkling water. I've been in this situation so I hope this is helpful.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you I'll bear those tips in mind.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

нет, спасибо, предписания врача

OH, I see some folks already responded.

This is basically, "No Thanks, Doctor's Orders". That way it will not show any "disrespect"
You will not be expected to drink alcohol. I like the verte's answer too.
After dinner Brandy is quite a popular toasting drink. Just also be ready to propose your own toast even though you do not drink alcohol - soda. Water is soda or no soda, meaning carbonation. Get water with "soda". It is traditional to take turns toasting around a table. You can certainly toast with a non-alcoholic beverage. And yes, they throw out all the stops for a guest. Russians are like nothing portrayed in American movies. Just be casual in try not to stand out in public.
Have fun and don't worry.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
нет, спасибо, предписания врача
Haha How on earth do you pronounce that?

Thanks for your response, I think I'm just over analysing the whole situation. I'll just relax, enjoy myself and politely turn it down.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

spacibo, nyet, predpisnie vrach -

spah-see'-bo / nyet / pred-pree-san'-ya / vrach (like watch)

thank you, no, by direction of, doctor

the 'R' has a 'D' like sound similar to Spanish rd vr datch
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks I've copied your post to my note section on my phone, I shall get it memorised
Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pipe in as someone else who lived in Moscow. (First as a raging alcoholic, then in very early sobriety)

I agree-just establish at the start that you don't drink. "Spasiba, ja ne mogoo" is another simple phrase, "Thanks, I can't."

I agree make it clear that it's because of the doctor (vrach) and you should be fine. (Of course you don't have to explain to anyone, but having an explanation does smooth things over a bit.)

Have a great time-Moscow is a fantastic place! Totally crazy and wonderful!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's rude not to tip your servers America. It's rude to burp after a meal in Japan. It's rude to jaywalk in Denmark.

But people do it anyway, and the world moves on. If you turn down vodka (which probably won't even come up), the sun will rise the next day. Try not to build it up too much. Enjoy your trip, have a safe and sober experience.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys you've put me a lot more at ease about the trip.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
It's rude not to tip your servers America. It's rude to burp after a meal in Japan. It's rude to jaywalk in Denmark. But people do it anyway, and the world moves on. If you turn down vodka (which probably won't even come up), the sun will rise the next day. Try not to build it up too much. Enjoy your trip, have a safe and sober experience.
I agree bigsombrero, particularly in a social setting. However, when in Russia on business (or any country for that matter) it's best to to be more diplomatic with the host when refusing a drink. Doctor's orders, medication, etc., work well in these situations.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm only on 1st week sober and going away Friday also. Warm, sunny, palm trees, you get the picture. Just remember that the AV is a strong adversary and will lie to us in order to have it's way. Whether it's for you being offered vodka to share with your comrades "out of respect", or for me to watch everyone holding tiki tumblers filled with tropical concoctions, it is all a facade for the puny, wimpering AV begging to get buzzed. Then the next day, when hungover and sick, the selfish AV tells us to have a little more, just to ease the pain.
I ain't fallin' for it this time!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Oldselfagain and Lunar, I hope you have a great time on your vacation