Notices

Day 4. Craving.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4. Craving.

Wellll back to day 4. Feeling physically better and a little less crazy.

Can anyone relate to this feeling… I don’t know how to describe it but it’s like a burning feeling in my stomach. Starts off small. The more I think about drinking the bigger it gets the more it burns. The bigger it gets the more I think about alcohol the more I obsess. Maybe it’s like a ball or knot of emotions tied up in there. I dunno what it is or how to stop it but it’s there now. Burning and growing…………. It’s an urge I guess. I know I could quiet that urge or soothe the burning with a cold glass, bottle of wine. It would feel amazing to put that glass to my lips and feel the warmth running from the tip of my lips throughout my veins and my entire body. It would feel like...... ugh. I can't stop picturing what it would feel like.

God I want it so badly right now.

But I know it will only bring me trouble.

I don’t want to be hungover tomorrow. I don't want to feel crazy tomorrow. And I know there are plenty of other reasons not to drink but I can’t think of them right now. Every time I think of one my brain immediately comes up with an excuse to match it.

Grrrrr.

Hanging on hanging on.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's your plan to pass the time to bedtime? . . . you gotta have a plan, tick off those 30min/1hr slots . . . all you gotta do is make it untill bedtime!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Work until 4. Personal training from 4 until 5. Dinner from 5 until 6. Walk the dog from 6 until 7. Go look at a new car from 7 until 8. Watch TV at home from 8 until 10. Bed. Sounds safe right?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah sounds good, my Day 4 was all about passing the time, just make it to bedtime, my escape plan was always a long walk in the fresh air if things got tough!!

You can do this!!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thinking about drinking will always come and go, entertaining the idea is what's dangerous. in my case once I entertain the the thought, I'm gone, it's over. what I do now is what I call thought stoppage. I stop that voice before it gets bigger in my brain. and I call it the addictive voice, it will only remind you of the good times, never the bad times. I use both AA and AVRT( addictive voice recogtnition technique) you can check out their site.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm headed for day 4 tomorrow. I know exactly the stomach issue your speaking of. For me it's finally tapering off. It's your stomach lining and it's most likely trying to heal right now. Hang in there because your body is adjusting. You can do this!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember so well, Mrrryah. Chardonnay was my poison and by 3:00 pm every day during my drinking career I was planning my evening with my glass of Chard in my hand. Yes, I could smell it, taste it, feel the warmth and anticipate the glow long before I opened the bottle. But it never ended well; by the time I went to bed each night, I was regretting my weakness and my excessive rate of consumption; by 3:00 am and awake with a racing heart, I was promising myself that I would not drink again; by 7:00 am, I was heading to work hungover and full of self- loathing and resolve that I was never to drink again; by 11:00 am, I could feel that resolve beginning to mentally dissolve only to find myself at 3:00 pm planning my glass of Chard when I arrived home at 7:00. I was trapped in a vicious cycle of my own making.

Finally, I arrived at the point where I had had enough; one evening at 7:35 pm (885 days ago), I put that glass down and said "enough; enough; enough". I was tired, broken, defeated.

Stay strong, Mrrryah. Keep posting. I will be here most of the afternoon and into the evening and so will dozens of people who truly want you to succeed. Lean on us.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Work until 4. Personal training from 4 until 5. Dinner from 5 until 6. Walk the dog from 6 until 7. Go look at a new car from 7 until 8. Watch TV at home from 8 until 10. Bed. Sounds safe right?

Sounds like a well thought out plan, I found when I had time on my hands was hard initially, better kept busy it does help keep your mind focused.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG – SOOOO relate SoberLeigh!!!! That’s practically my exact schedule and thoughts every day (when I’m drinking). Happy to be on day 4 and hoping to sign in for day 5 tomorrow 

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I remember so well, Mrrryah. Chardonnay was my poison and by 3:00 pm every day during my drinking career I was planning my evening with my glass of Chard in my hand. Yes, I could smell it, taste it, feel the warmth and anticipate the glow long before I opened the bottle. But it never ended well; by the time I went to bed each night, I was regretting my weakness and my excessive rate of consumption; by 3:00 am and awake with a racing heart, I was promising myself that I would not drink again; by 7:00 am, I was heading to work hungover and full of self- loathing and resolve that I was never to drink again; by 11:00 am, I could feel that resolve beginning to mentally dissolve only to find myself at 3:00 pm planning my glass of Chard when I arrived home at 7:00. I was trapped in a vicious cycle of my own making.

Finally, I arrived at the point where I had had enough; one evening at 7:35 pm (885 days ago), I put that glass down and said "enough; enough; enough". I was tired, broken, defeated.

Stay strong, Mrrryah. Keep posting. I will be here most of the afternoon and into the evening and so will dozens of people who truly want you to succeed. Lean on us.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’ve also got this issue in my brain – I know – don’t laugh – it’s so stupid - but it’s “Wine Wednesday”. I used to always say Wine Wednesday was the perfect mid-week break to help get through the Monday-Friday grind of working and monotonous routine…. So for some reason my brain is particularly difficult on Wednesdays. My brain tells me I deserve my “Wine Wednesday”. (The funny thing is though – in addition to Wine Wednesday I would normally drink every single other day too – so the only thing that actually made it different from any other day was the catchy phrase”.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
...I know there are plenty of other reasons not to drink but I can’t think of them right now. Every time I think of one my brain immediately comes up with an excuse to match it.
You don't have to come up with reasons to not drink. You just say no.

I'm not being flippant.

As long as you try to reason with your addiction, the addiction is going to spin it in its favor.

You've declared your intentions to quit drinking. It's here, in the trenches, where that battle is fought. And it's won with NO.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow mrrrrryah. I almost needed a cigarette after reading that and I don't smoke.

Don't dwell on it. Cravings pass in a short time.
stay strong.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just say no to that urge. You are stronger than that voice. And your well being is worth the effort.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I call this desire that you are explaining the desire to be THERE. That place of peace joy and freedom that drinking once brought on. For me, it stopped working. The amount of drink that I need to get THERE makes me sick, even if I can make it too THERE which more times than not I can't.

Instead of living in the desire of doing something that I just can't do I decided to look for other ways to get THERE. For me it is seeing God in all that is around me. Every face I look at I see the face of God. Isn't that a trip? I get to see God everyday in those around me. The peace, joy and freedom is already inside of me I just need to recognize it and embrace it. Once I tried to do it with drink now I get THERE with Love.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Ditto
Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Myrrryah, One of the things I would look at is that you are feeling better! And you should think about your desire to buy a new car, it would behoove you to get a little more time on your journey of sobriety before you buy it. At least in my state if you get caught DWI, they will make you forfeit the car and you still must pay it off if you want to keep your credit! That would be a Major Cravings Killer to me! Keep up the good work we're rooting for you! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalNow View Post
I call this desire that you are explaining the desire to be THERE. That place of peace joy and freedom that drinking once brought on. For me, it stopped working. The amount of drink that I need to get THERE makes me sick, even if I can make it too THERE which more times than not I can't.

Instead of living in the desire of doing something that I just can't do I decided to look for other ways to get THERE. For me it is seeing God in all that is around me. Every face I look at I see the face of God. Isn't that a trip? I get to see God everyday in those around me. The peace, joy and freedom is already inside of me I just need to recognize it and embrace it. Once I tried to do it with drink now I get THERE with Love.
Thats good stuff right there! It's scary to think how much alcohol it started taking over the years and years to get me to a buzz anymore. It was the amount that would take a once per week person and knock them on their butt cold! Then that large amount of poison that takes so long to process begins to turn your skin red, flaky, hot and dry because it never truly gets the chance to be flushed from your body. Your stomach burns it seems all the time. You feel bloated and lazy. The alcohol no longer makes you happy, it makes you mad. You get mad because it no longer gives you the pleasure without the pain. I hear you brother! Alcohol is nothing but a nasty illusion to happiness. It tricks you in the beginning and stabs you in the back at the end! Love and support for who you are without it is where its at! Sobriety doesn't lie. Trust it...it feels amazing!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you looked at this link Mrrryah?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
D