Notices

Getting pregnant

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting pregnant

Hi everyone
I have been without alcohol for 5 months, i am now 37 going on 38. I am thinking of maybe starting a family with my partner if we are lucky enough but i was wondering of the possible health problems for my unborn child if this happened. I was never a very heavy drinker, well yes i was for sure, but not maybe compared to some others. But i did drink well through my 20's and 30's ad for the last 5 years maybe about a bottle a wine a night on average, give or take less sometimes and more sometimes.
Has anyone here become pregnant after recover fairly late in life and what was your experience, i would love to know...i did tests at the doctor 4 months ago and my liver enzymes were a bit higher than normal but nothing permanently damaged as it seems.
All the best to you all, lots of love
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by laana View Post
Hi everyone
I have been without alcohol for 5 months, i am now 37 going on 38. I am thinking of maybe starting a family with my partner if we are lucky enough but i was wondering of the possible health problems for my unborn child if this happened. I was never a very heavy drinker, well yes i was for sure, but not maybe compared to some others. But i did drink well through my 20's and 30's ad for the last 5 years maybe about a bottle a wine a night on average, give or take less sometimes and more sometimes.
Has anyone here become pregnant after recover fairly late in life and what was your experience, i would love to know...i did tests at the doctor 4 months ago and my liver enzymes were a bit higher than normal but nothing permanently damaged as it seems.
All the best to you all, lots of love
Hi Laana, that is a great thing if you are lucky enough, and it would also be in my opinion a fantastic incentive to keep you sober long term if it was ever needed, only your doctor can really answer any questions regarding that but I truly wish you well and hope for a post down the line with some good news for the guys here.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only your doctor can answer this as Stoogy said.

As for starting a familly, I really wish you the best. My son is the best thing in my life ;-)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You need a really firm grasp of recovery to stay stopped. That child may not be enough....just my experience.....
Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I know it's my doctor i will have speak to if we get serious about this..it would still be great to hear of other people's stories. I am a bundle of guilt now, not for what i have done to me as much as what it could do to my child. Maybe i am overreacting due to my past behaviour and i need some reassurance...end of the day i really hope my dream can come true.
So happy for you Patman, I am sure you have a lucky son indeed
Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear! Yes with or without a child i stay firm
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Only your doctor can answer this as Stoogy said.

As for starting a familly, I really wish you the best. My son is the best thing in my life ;-)

You are so right, I think I would still be drinking if it was not for my family,
Take care.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You post on this topic really moves me, you are truly inspiring!

Wishing you all the best, but talk to a doc for sure!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that your dr can give you the answers to your questions.

I know that guilt is a big part of alcoholism (and recovery) and I hope you are able to come to terms with this.

Best wishes for you and your partner.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

No advice but best wishes from me Laana.

It doesn't look to me like you're thinking of this baby as something to keep you sober - I think that's a good thing.
I've seen enough parents here to know that a baby is often not enough. Pretty hard on the kid too.

Have the baby because you want him or her

D