Notices

What the Heck, Lets do Day One

Old 07-02-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What the Heck, Lets do Day One

Morning all,

I a newbie to this board and posted my first post on the alcoholics board yesterday about tapering off alcohol to avoid serious withdrawals. I got good information, and made a Dr's appt.

So how did my taper go, sat here last night reading the forums till about 4:00 am drinking the whole way. No offense, but the more I read the more depressed it made me. I guess it was just the realization of what I am up against and the plain damn truth that I dont want to admit I have a problem.

As I am sure we have all said "I can control this, I can stop when I want" I will tell you I am afraid. I have not hit rock bottom and from the many of the posts lots of us are functioning drunks. I am afraid of how many day ones I will have to start because of little voice that says its just one drink. I will butcher the quote but something like "1 is too many and 10,000 is never enough" or something close.

So guys here goes my day one. Not sure when I had my last drink somewhere around 4 this a.m. but lets call 9:00 a.m. when I decided I am a drunk. God I hate to admit that, I am a drunk. Somewhere, the disease crept up on me and if it hasnt yet I know will make my life unmanageable.

I am glad I found you all, be thinking about me and I will keep you posted.

Triegger
Old 07-02-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY TRIEGGER,WELCOME,YOUR NOT ALONE.
GET YOU SOME SLEEP,DON'T DRINK,COME BACK AND POST,GET TO KNOW US,WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER! .....ted
Old 07-02-2004, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ted for the support. By the way, I apologize if my title seemed flippant, I did not mean for that to be the case. I want you all to know it does not mean I am not sincere, just never had a day one before and I figured what the heck, got to start somewhere.

Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Triegger,

Great decision! It's normal to be afraid and I think most people are when they decide to stop drinking. And, you are facing a tough journey, but I think it will be one that is so rewarding you will be glad of your decision. You're right, if you've not hit rock bottom you might find it more difficult, but use that fact to spur you on. You don't need to hit rock bottom to stop drinking. I wish you well and hope you'll keep posting. There's lots of support here and you can PM me anytime if you want to talk.

Love, Anna
Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey there,
Gald you found us. I have had many day one's before I got to a day 3....4....5...etc. We are all on the same journey here, the road to recovery and after the withdrawls and grieving over our last drugs and drinking days we begin to find ourselves again and with it comes peace. Keep posting, keep trying we are here.
Love Indigo
Old 07-02-2004, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by triegger
I guess it was just the realization of what I am up against and the plain damn truth that I dont want to admit I have a problem.
And until you do admit to yourself that you have a problem with alcohol, it's going to be a very long taper. And just between you and me, the spiritual and emotional pain will soon make the pain of withdrawal look like childs play. I know this from first hand experience.
Physical withdrawal from alcohol is a reality, and not to be taken lightly. People have died from it. However, in many cases, as you have read elsewhere here, the discomfort ranges widely. But it all has to start with one day without the drink. There is no way around that. This is where it comes down to one hour at a time. Or less. You may have seen this link elsewhere.
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
Be very attentive to the signals your body sends you during withdrawal.
You can absolutely do this for yourself. My last withdrawal episode lasted 72 hours. I wanted to lift my fingernails up to get rid of the little creatures that were dancing under there. That's an extreme, but nevertheless represents what alcohol abuse can lead to. In the end, I was drinking multiple bottles of vodka daily. Big bottles. But I made it. And so can you.
be thinking about me
You got it.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Here is to day '1' for you Triegger. I am going on day 2. Had a wake up call Wednesday night. Going to AA meeting tomorrow. Be brave and strong. You can do it and so can I
Old 07-02-2004, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Louie,

Grats on getting through day 1. Know that I am pulling for you to make it through day 2.

So far, I am 2 hours without a drink. I guess that is something and if I can string enough of them together day one will be behind.

Again my thoughts are with you.

Triegger
Old 07-02-2004, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Good luck to you on day one!

Triegger, yea, it is depressing initially, believe it or not, it's actually a grieving process. Stay strong!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Chy Thanks,

Is it ok to say here that I am craving a drink. That damned little voice in my head is talking to me. Withdrawal symptoms are not bad, just a few cramps and a little anxiety.

I am just so afraid of slipping. Are day one's usually this hard?

Triegger
Old 07-02-2004, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pretty Is As Pretty Does

Hey !!!

Just post post and keep posting here. Yes your cravings are normal. Minute by minute.

We're here for you. I'm at work, I can post all day . Except when I go to my noon aa meeting.

Christine
Old 07-02-2004, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I feel so awful from Wednesday night still that alcohol doesn't even sound good. Which is a good thing.

I am concerned about having withdrawls. I haven't talked to my doctor and would prefer not too. What are other's thoughts on this. I do not drink every day, but do most days.

I have to work tonight then I am going to go to an AA meeting tomorrow at 11:00. I am scared, but know it is what I must do. Tomorrow I can rest and take it easy and not have to work until Sunday night then I have Monday off. If I can make it through this time should I be through the period of withdrawls?

Feel so scared right now, but I know I can do it.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am with you Louie,

I am very new here but look around there is lot of good information on withdrawal symptoms. I think I have read here 72 - 96 hours but dont quote me.

Just know I am in it with you.

Triegger
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pretty Is As Pretty Does

As with you Louie, I never drank everyday but most days. I don't know anything about getting through a withdrawl period. I've had to fight cravings, if that makes sense.

Here's a thought.....would it be reasonable to type....Yes your scared, that's normal. Could you try to think to yourself, "OK I'm going have physical withdrawls, I know that. So I'm ready for them, I'm prepared to feel this way but I KNOW it's part of beating this and I'm GOING to do it no matter what?"

Maybe that lame I don't know. I do think though if you stay here and post, the people who have gone through those physical withdrawls can encourage you to keep with it and know that you WILL get through it.

Just a thought, I don't know. I'm posting for you . Even if I don't know what I'm typing.....

Here for you guys,

Christine
Old 07-02-2004, 08:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

Yea, Triegger, first day's are usually the hardest, but ya know what? It will be a great reward waking up tomorrow, clear headed, and with the satisfaction, you've just proved you can do it! Hang out here all day if you need to and join Bonni and the gang tonight in chat for the online meeting!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Louie!
I'm sorry your going through some discomfort. Typically, the worst physical symptoms last 3-4 days. Here's a link you may find helpful. Good luck, be strong, it will get better. Keep yourself hydrated with lot's of water, juices, soda's but try to avoid caffeine if at all possible. If possible take multi-vitamins, and eat fruits. This will help with muscle jitters at night. It's helpfull to eat high protein foods at night for dinner or just before bed to ease anxiety, insominia, and muscle spasms. Hope that helps!
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
Old 07-02-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Fantastic Treigger!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

So far I have not had to fight the cravings. I am still dealing with feeling like sh*t from Wednesday night.

The thing is I really didn't drink that much and I have never completely blacked out where I don't remember anything like this before. It scared and still does scare the crap out of me. I think something else might have contributed, but I don't know what. I don't do drugs at all. The thought did cross my mind that something could have been put in my drink, but I was with friends. Don't know if I am trying to find an excuse or if something else contributed. Either way I want to stop drinking.

I have talked to a few close friends, and they don't seem to think I have a problem. I don't feel the need to drink every day, but do find that particularly when I am stressed that I do have cravings.

Actually, I looked up some of the signs of withdrawl and it says that hangovers are actually a form of withdrawl. So I guess I am suffering withdrawls already. But not having cravings at all. The thought of alcohol makes me want to puke still. Alcohol does nothing good for my body and empty calories.

My concern was if I experienced severe withdrawls - would I know it to get help. I live alone and the guy I am seeing is out of town for the weekend. Just curious for those who have experienced the withdrawl.

I like your idea about putting it in writing though. If you expect it to happen, then you are more prepared to deal with it.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Pretty Is As Pretty Does

Well................
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

My name is Richard and today is the beginning of my life. Day one ..