Notices

Ready to go, but need the strength.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Ready to go, but need the strength.

Hey, everyone! I've been coming to the chat room a lot lately and have found that I am NOT alone in this struggle. I am so ready to make a change, especially for my kids...Michael (18) and Amanda (15). They are my WORLD and I love them as only a Mom can.

Also in my life is my fiancee, Tony, who has been there for me...but only to a certain point/limit. We have had several fights, many times physical, that I never want to re-live. He tries to understand, especially after seeing his Father drink himself to his death, but still cannot understand why I just cannot simply put down the bottle. He is sixteen years older than me, and I think the age difference is playing a huge part in our differences. I hope to make this relationship work towards a happy ending, but not with the physical violence. There...I said it.

Anyway...thanks to all who have told me their own stories of losing loved ones in the past and of their recovery. I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but I need all the support and love I can get now to combat this struggle and win. Then, I hope to help others that follow after me, to live a happy, addiction free life...forever.

Mama
Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Mama. I'm glad you've reached out for some help and encouragement.

I'm sorry for the pain you've gone through. As you already know, the physical violence can't be condoned - no matter what the reason. Getting sober is the best thing you can do for yourself. Then you can figure out where the relationship goes from here, with a clear head.

There's plenty of love and support to go around here at SR - we're all in this together. It's almost impossible to explain to our normies what we go through. Keep talking to us.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, great to see you have made some positive decisions. It is very difficult for people who do not have a problem with alcohol to understand the addiction. My whole family get so frustrated with me, always using the "why don't you just not drink" argument. This is actually a negative thing to say to me as it makes me feel like I am weak, and somehow inferior to people who can just say no to drinking, or at least know when to stop. These feelings of weakness and inferiority actually make me feel like drinking, as drinking takes away these feelings. I have had to just admit to myself that I cannot control it, so have made the decision to give it my absolutely best shot to eliminate it out of my life, before it destroys me anymore than it already has.

Last edited by Greg1959; 05-06-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Changed emoticom
Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know your details, but physical violence is unacceptable to me.

happy to know you are getting sober!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum muchadomama!

Lots of great support here for the journey.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Mama

There's a lot of support here - and feel free to check out the Moms thread and the Class of May support thread too

D
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Morning!

Just wanted to say a HUGE "thank you" to everyone for responding. It really is a comfort knowing I have others to help me along the way.